Opponents to Watch: BYU

Courtesy of Daily Universe Sports

BYU will head into the eighth game of its maiden Big 12 season with a 5–2 record and 2–2 in the conference. The matchup against No. 7 Texas will undoubtedly be the biggest game of its season so far. Head coach Kalani Sitake named the Longhorns one of the best teams he’s ever seen and said his players will have to put in the best work of the season on Saturday, per DeseretNews. In a BYU team of program record-breakers, these four players could be key for a successful turnout for the Cougars away in Austin.

Kedon Slovis

The BYU quarterback has plenty of experience, starting his collegiate career at Pittsburgh and graduating from USC before transferring to BYU to pursue his master’s degree. Slovis is ranked fifth among active Football Bowl Subdivision quarterbacks in career passing yards with over 11,000 total. He recorded his tenth touchdown pass of the season in the team’s 35-27 victory over Cincinnati. Throughout his career, Slovis has scored 13 touchdown passes worth 40 or more yards. 

Isaac Rex

After missing a season due to injury, tight end Isaac Rex recorded 22 grabs for 320 yards and six touchdowns in his first year back in 2022. Rex tied College Football Hall of Famer Gordon Hudson for No. 1 all-time at BYU in tight end touchdown receptions and ranks No. 8 in career receiving touchdowns. In BYU’s victory over Southern Utah, Rex recorded his 22nd career touchdown reception and a career-record long reception with 65 yards. 

LJ Martin

Named “a standout in camp” and “one of the best players in the team” by BYU offensive coordinator Aaron Roderick, the freshman running back put his name on the history books in his very first collegiate game. LJ Martin recorded the most rushing yards by a true BYU freshman since 2012 with 91 yards on 16 carries. Since his debut, Martin scored his first two career rushing touchdowns, including a career-long 45 yards in BYU’s win at Arkansas and leads the team in rushing yards this season. In addition to recording the most rushing yards by a true freshman, Martin recorded the most rushing touchdowns by a true freshman since 1999, acquiring four through his first five games. 

Chase Roberts

Wide receiver Chase Roberts became only the second freshman in program history to record more than 100 yards and a touchdown against an AP Top 10 ranked team, and the sixth in program history and first since 2010 to record a 100 yard receiving game in the win over Baylor. This season, Roberts recorded a career-high of 131 receiving yards in the win over Cincinnati and was named Sports Center’s Highlight of the Night for his game-winning one-handed touchdown grab against Arkansas. Roberts leads the Cougars in receiving yards with 430 in the 2023 season.