Liveshot: Jeremy Zucker’s ‘Is Nothing Sacred? The Tour’ transports audience to pastoral paradise

Kevin Kim
Jeremy Zucker performs at Emo’s for the second stop of his “is nothing sacred?” tour on Oct. 26, 2023.

The vibrant hues of wildflowers peppered the green grass adorning Emo’s stage on Thursday as Jeremy Zucker on his “Is Nothing Sacred? the Tour” paid Austin a visit. 

Known for his introspective and authentic music, the singer’s show explored the meandering contemplations of young adulthood and adolescence all while maintaining a laid back environment. The stage, designed to mimic a wide open field, set a pastoral tone throughout the night.

Following two openers, Charlie Hickey and Sam MacPherson, the audience chanted relentlessly for the singer with heightened anticipation. White flashing strobe lights primed the darkened stage before Zucker appeared out of a blast of glaring light to start the set off with “i need you (in my life).” The stage sported two bulky rectangular screens angled towards center stage that danced to the beat and altered their displays to accompany the vibe of every song. Beginning by dancing on the podium at the point formed by the two screens, Zucker made his way down stage throughout the night.

“I just want to thank you guys for helping me really be in this moment,” Zucker proclaimed after an energetic beginning of the set. Though only accompanied on stage by bass and keys, played by his brother Todd Zucker, and drums, played by Ian Meltzer, the iconic Zucker synth permeated the performance. Since the thoughtful production of Zucker’s studio records proves as integral as the heartfelt lyrics, a team tucked away on stage left filled Zucker’s backing, maintaining the songs’ integrity.

When the soft guitar intro to one of Zucker’s hits, “comethru,” rang through Emo’s, cheers erupted. Before Zucker could begin singing, the audience started in on the lyrics, belting the tune as their own. The audience carried the song to the first chorus while a grinning Zucker encouraged them through the lines.

Transitioning to a series of slower songs, Zucker slipped into a forest green hoodie from his merch line and settled at a keyboard brought to center stage. With the more relaxed dress and casual camera angle, the concert doubled as a live show and an intimate livestream. 

As the set neared its end, Zucker welcomed a member of the audience to the stage, who he said mouthed the words to him from the crowd earlier in the set when he’d stumbled over lyrics. Sitting side by side with his arm around his guest, Zucker sang “Cry with you” and the audience waved their flashlights in unison lighting up the room. To finish off his set, Zucker crooned “end.”

The audience chanted the singer’s name to initiate the encore. With the screens blank and all eyes on center stage, Zucker delivered a vulnerable rendition of “always, i’ll care,” and brought the energy back up for “supercuts,” ending the concert on a high.