Horrorcore hip hop albums to spookify your Halloween

Elizabeth Aguilar-Garcia

Inspired by horror movies, occultism and death metal, horrorcore proves one of the more radical subgenres of hip hop. With a sound characterized by transgressive and exaggerated lyrics about violence, drug use and crime, horrorcore gained popularity thanks to 1990s groups Three Six Mafia and Insane Clown Posse. As menacing as its lyrical content with deep 808s, harrowing lo-fi samples and slowed down hardcore production, horrorcore’s sound creeps into ears. The Daily Texan compiled a list of horrorcore’s best projects as a soundtrack to underscore Halloween.

Mystic Stylez by Three Six Mafia

Etched into the history of hip hop, Three Six Mafia ascended as the prominent voice from the Memphis hip hop scene. Although their debut album did not initially garner them fame, horrorcore fans recognize the cult classic as one of the foundational albums for the genre. Inspired by DJ Paul and Project Pat’s obsession with slasher films, the hypnotically dark and crawling production sends chills down spines as if the killers rapping over the beats are following the listener. Blending occult and satanic imagery into the hellish stories of life in North Memphis, Mystic Stylez delivers an eerie listening experience full of nightmare fuel. 

6 Feet Deep by Gravediggaz

The fearful supergroup consisting of Prince Paul, Frukwan, Too Poetic and RZA dropped a historic horrorcore classic that harnessed the grimy sound of 90s New York boom bap. Masterfully infusing dark humor and biblical imagery into morbid topics like psychopathy and violence, the grisly lyricists craft a world of death and destruction, commenting on the music industry of the time. The amalgamation of samples from multiple genres create menacingly sinister beats that make listeners shudder while simultaneously bumping along. 

U.S.A. by The Flatlinerz

The acronym meaning “Under Satan’s Authority,” the creepy horrorcore classic faded into obscurity as one of the pioneering albums of the subgenre. The intensity of the album’s violent and hair-raising lyrics cut deeper than any of the albums on this list, with emcees Tempest, Gravedigger and Redrum unleashing infernal bars full of unrelenting details of their gruesome deeds. The lunatic killers’ sample heavy production featuring catchy backup vocal choruses and classic boom bap drum patterns that establish the atmosphere of the villainous record.

The Amazing Jeckel Brothers by Insane Clown Posse

The face-painted, ax-wielding, bigot-killing duo Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope live up as one of hip hop’s wackiest acts. Commanding their militia of dedicated fans known as the “juggalos,” Insane Clown Posse brought horrorcore to new heights as the crazed clowns of calamity terrorized the rap scene. With a sound as crazy as their appearance, the duo spits cartoonishly tongue-in-cheek lyrics on vulgar subjects. The Amazing Jeckel Brothers stands as the peak of the ICP sound full of sadistic humor skits, comically terrifying vocal deliveries and sounds like a circus from the underworld.