Best Vietnamese restaurants within walking distance of UT

Maya Kiselstein

Rainy weather welcomes Austin’s transition into November, and nothing feels better on a cool day than a warm bowl of pho. Numerous Vietnamese restaurants surround UT’s campus, so The Daily Texan compiled a list of the best ones to try when in the mood for fresh Vietnamese food. 

Sip Pho

Minimalistically designed and minutes away from Kinsolving dormitories in North Campus, Sip Pho provides a comfy spot for a lunch or afternoon study session. Wooden planks meet to form the triangular ceiling, and white chairs and tables line the open eating area. Sip Pho’s menu features many pho options but also a selection of bahn mi sandwiches and small plates for a quick bite. Affordable prices make the restaurant especially appealing as stopping in during the weekday will not break the bank. 

UTea Pho

UTea Pho’s unique ability to host large amounts of people makes it a desirable spot for many UT organization profit shares and big group dinners. Sitting right off Rio Grande and 22nd ½ streets next to Pluckers Wing Bar, stop in for healthy and customizable Vietnamese options from chicken and vermicelli noodles to many students’ favorite fried rice. As for pho, their light, savory broths surround a tasty medley of fresh vegetables and meats in every bowl. Additionally, choose from eight delicious handmade cream puff flavors for a mandatory post-dinner dessert.

Pho Thaison

For those who frequent the southwest side of campus, Pho Thaison provides a fast, easy lunch location. Right off Guadalupe Street and Martin Luther King Boulevard, this restaurant offers generous portions and great service for affordable prices. Pho, sandwiches and vegetarian options make up the bulk of the menu, but unlike other Vietnamese restaurants, they also offer sushi, including UT’s very own Longhorn Roll. Made with salmon, cucumber and avocado, this roll presents a fun and unique way to embrace school spirit. 

Yaya Cafe

Traveling north on Guadalupe Street to West 38th Street presents another healthy Vietnamese option. Despite lacking pho in the name unlike the others on this list, Yaya Cafe offers many varieties of pho as well as sandwiches, salads and a selection of savory crepes for customers to enjoy. Each fresh crepe incorporates customizable meat options including different combinations of shrimp, pork and chicken surrounded by a coconut crepe batter. The quiet, homey atmosphere of this restaurant provides a good weekday study spot or weekend lunch with friends. If walking presents a challenge, hop on the 801 bus from UT West Mall Station and travel three stops up Guadalupe Street for faster access to Yaya Cafe.