Quinn Ewers will start Saturday’s game at TCU

Lorianne Willett
Quarterback Quinn Ewers at Texas’ game against Alabama in Tuscaloosa on September 9, 2023.

In Thursday’s weekly media availability, Texas football head coach Steve Sarkisian announced that sophomore quarterback Quinn Ewers will start after missing two weeks due to a shoulder injury. No. 7 Texas will travel to Fort Worth to play TCU Saturday night at 6:30. 

“Quinn’s gonna start Saturday night,” Sarkisian said. “Obviously, as a team, (we’re) excited about that. He’s had a great week of practice and I feel very comfortable with his ability to operate the offense. I think he, his family and our medical team feel very good about where he’s at health-wise and so we’re looking forward to having him back.”

Prior to his injury, Ewers threw for 1,915 yards, 13 touchdowns, three interceptions and ran for five touchdowns. Sarkisian also said that Ewers was not limited at all in practice this week.

While he was recovering, redshirt freshman Maalik Murphy started against BYU and Kansas State in Ewers’ place. In the two games Murphy started, he threw for 418 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions. 

“I think we’re very fortunate that Maalik (Murphy) got those two starts under his belt,” Sarkisian said. “Knowing in the future if Quinn (Ewers) wasn’t able to go, that we’ve got a really quality backup. … So, we’re fortunate in the position that we’re in but it’ll be great to have number three back out there Saturday night.”