Texas star running back Jonathon Brooks out for the season with torn ACL

Manoo Sirivelu
Sophomore running back, Jonathon Brooks stiff arms BYU player as he runs for a touchdown on Oct. 28, 2023.

Redshirt sophomore running back Jonathon Brooks sustained a torn ACL in the fourth quarter of Texas’s win against Texas Christian University on Saturday.

The star rusher will undergo surgery and miss the remainder of the season due to the injury, according to head coach Steve Sarkisian. Brooks gained 104 rushing yards and two touchdowns before exiting the game. Brooks amassed 1425 all-purpose yards and 11 touchdowns on the season, the third most scrimmage yards of any player in college football.

“We’re heartbroken for Jonathon,” said head coach Sarkisian in a press release on Sunday. “He was having a fantastic season and leaves a void that needs to be filled. But we know he will continue to be an invaluable leader on our team, helping us prepare as we move forward in our mission this season. I know he’ll work extremely hard in his recovery, get back to full speed as soon as he can, and we will be there by his side supporting him through all of that.”

Brooks’ injury will be a big hit to the Longhorns, who are two games away from clinching a Big 12 championship. Texas will travel to Ames, Iowa, next Saturday to face the Iowa State Cyclones without the running back. Freshman CJ Baxter is expected to lead the backfield and is coming off of two straight 60+ yard games. Sophomores Jaydon Blue and Savion Red could see an increase in workload as well. 

Sarkisian will address the media on Monday at 11:30 a.m.