Week 12: Heisman Watch

Courtesy of Morgan Cook/LSU Reveille
LSU football senior quarterback Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball Saturday, Nov. 11, 2023, during LSU’s 52-35 win against Florida at Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, La.

Jayden Daniels – LSU

In LSU’s 52-35 win over Florida, Daniels became the first Football Bowl Subdivision quarterback to throw for over 350 yards and run for over 200 yards in the same game. He threw for 372 yards and ran for 234 yards. Daniels also accounted for five touchdowns in the Tigers’ win, one of which was an 85-yard rushing touchdown that showcased his true talent as a dual-threat quarterback. This season, Daniels has thrown for a total of 3,164 yards, 30 touchdowns and four interceptions. On the ground, he has run for 918 yards and eight touchdowns, averaging just over eight yards per carry. While LSU has three losses, it has only lost to ranked teams, two of which are College Football Playoff contenders in No. 4 Florida State and No. 8 Alabama. According to ESPN, Daniels has the highest quarterback rating in the country of 94.2. His 600-yard performance proved that he is one of, if not the best, quarterback in the country. Against Florida, he also became the first player in FBS history to pass 12,000 career passing yards and 3,000 rushing yards. 

Bo Nix – Oregon

Bo Nix is one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the country and has completed 258 of 332 pass attempts for 3,135 yards so far this season. Opposite to Daniels, Nix does not run the ball, but his passing skills make up for his lack of mobility. This season, he has thrown for 29 touchdowns and rushed for five. He averages over 313 passing yards per game this season and has only thrown two interceptions. Oregon’s only loss so far was to Washington, and Nix completed 33 passes for 337 yards and two touchdowns. While Daniels is a true dual-threat quarterback, Nix is not. This season he has just 121 rushing yards on 38 carries, but Oregon’s pass attack has allowed it to stay in the fight for a spot in the College Football Playoff. Nix’s best game was against USC when he threw for 412 yards and four touchdown passes. 

Michael Penix Jr. – Washington

Michael Penix Jr. is one of the most electric passers in the game of college football. This season he leads all FBS quarterbacks with 3,528 yards. He has 28 passing and two rushing touchdowns to show for all of his yards but has thrown seven interceptions. In Washington’s biggest win over Oregon, he threw for 302 yards on 22 attempts and four touchdowns. Like Nix, Penix is not a dual-threat quarterback and has only attempted to run the ball 20 times. Penix’s strong receiving core allows him to throw the ball consistently. Penix has the chance to lead Washington to its first College Football Playoff as the Huskies are currently ranked at No. 5 in the CFP rankings. His best performance of the season came against Michigan State when he threw for 473 yards and four touchdowns.