Keys to the Game – Texas Tech

Lorianne Willett
Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian during UT’s game against TCU on Nov. 13, 2023.

Here we are, the final regular season game for the No. 7 Texas Longhorns. It seems like yesterday when we were all sweltering inside Darrell K Royal-Texas in the opener against Rice. A lot has happened since then, including a 10-point road win against Alabama and a heartbreaking loss to Oklahoma in the Cotton Bowl. Nonetheless, head coach Steve Sarkisian has his team on the doorstep of a berth in the Big 12 Championship Game with a win and a chance at the College Football Playoffs.

In order to get there, Texas will need to take care of business on Black Friday against in-state rival Texas Tech. The Red Raiders are rolling as they ride into Austin on a three-game winning streak after starting 3–5. Despite failing to meet preseason expectations, they can still spoil the Longhorns’ year with an upset in the final game (at least for a while) for the Chancellor’s Spurs. 

Here are three factors that will determine the game for Texas in their quest for a trip to Jerry’s World.    

Keep an eye out for Tahj Brooks

Tahj Brooks has been on a tear during Texas Tech’s winning streak. In his last three games, the senior running back from Manor, Texas has rushed for 461 yards and three touchdowns. Brooks has solidified himself as a workhorse this year with 249 carries, good enough for second-most in the FBS. He’ll face arguably his toughest challenge on Friday against a Texas defense that allows only 82.7 yards per game. It will be interesting to see if the Red Raiders’ offensive line can open up lanes for Brooks or if T’Vondre Sweat and company will continue to wreak havoc.  

Play all four quarters

A common theme has developed since Sarkisian took over the Longhorns in 2021: the inability to close out games. In his first two years at the helm, Longhorn fans grew all too accustomed to their team squandering double-digit leads in eventual losses. However, things have started to shift in year three. Yes, Texas has choked leads in games against Houston, Kansas State and TCU, but the Longhorns have found a way to win all three. It’s a true testament to the culture Sarkisian has established in his tenure on the Forty Acres. With that being said, if Texas wants to prove they are one of the top teams in the country, they will have to leave no doubt on the field against Texas Tech.

Block out all the noise

It is no secret that there has been some animosity between Texas and the Big 12 since the former member announced its departure from the conference to the SEC. Things really started to boil this past August when the Big 12 Commissioner, Brett Yormark, asked Texas Tech head coach Joey McGuire at the Red Raider Club kickoff luncheon to “take care of business” against the Longhorns. A few days later, Sarkisian responded by stating how his team would “embrace the hate” in their final year in the conference, which has proven successful so far. When Friday rolls around, his team will look to prove the haters wrong with Yormark sitting in the stands. In order to do so, Texas must play its game and block out any potential distractions. Do that and the Longhorns will be playing for the Big 12 Championship for the first time since 2018.