Disney’s ‘Wish’ feels uninspired, rushed

Courtesy of Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures

Disney celebrated its 100th anniversary with “Wish,” the story of a young girl named Asha and a sorcerer-king who battle over the wishes sent to the king by village members. Asha yearns to get her newly 100-year-old grandfather’s wish granted, while King Magnifico, who supposedly keeps wishes safe, possesses no desire to grant any. Asha’s strong passion for her grandfather gives her a magical assistant in the form of a star when she voices her dreams to the vast sky. King Magnifico feels threatened once Asha wields magical powers and the two hash it out in a battle that involves Asha, the king and the entire village. 

The film attempted to capture the magic of the classic Disney song “When You Wish Upon A Star,” but ultimately felt rushed. Perhaps the 100-year mark sped the production of “Wish” up too much, as characters, storylines and hidden easter eggs proved to be messy. Many classic Disney features and plotlines, such as the repeated mention of Peter Pan, felt recycled and discombobulated as opposed to nostalgic and evocative. The concept of encouraging young children about the power of wishes and believing in one’s self seemed charming but appeared poorly executed overall. 

The musical elements in “Wish” supported the movie well with impressive vocals from Julia Michaels and Benjamin Rice and lyrics that heightened emotions. However, it lacked a breakout song. No ballad felt catchy enough to ring from children’s mouths the way “Let it Go” or “Part of Your World” seemed to for years. 

While a lovely homage to Disney’s impressive movie-making history, “Wish” also lacked a compelling plot line. In past movies, strong romances, uncharted territory and well-developed characters moved Disney audiences; however, “Wish” failed to deliver these crucial puzzle pieces. Instead, villagers’ surrendering wishes for decades made little sense, and the motivation behind Asha’s interactions with King Magnifico seemed unclear. Additionally, Asha’s seven friends’ storylines felt undeveloped, especially when her friend Simon betrayed her to the king. Audiences question what led him to this decision, as he earned a mere 10 minutes of screen time before this point.

Despite the plot leaving much to be desired, the animation of “Wish” met classic Walt Disney production standards. Each character felt three-dimensional and expressive, talking animals and magic swirled throughout the film and the intimate village setting allowed viewers to feel at home with Disney. The watercolor palette that made up the film brought scenes together nicely, making each transition seamless.

2 1/2 wishes out of 5