International films to watch this winter

Ana Campos

Content Warning: This article contains descriptions of movies with graphic footage

Whether it’s the Texas sun still scorching or the glistening snow covering the bustling streets, this time of the year signifies a time of reflection and familiarity. Films help to present the different ways various parts of the world look and feel during winter. To honor this time of year all over the globe, The Daily Texan compiled a list of international films to watch this winter. 

Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham (India) 

Rahul (Shah Rukh Khan), indebted to his business tycoon adoptive father for rescuing him from poverty, begins to fall in love with lower-class Anjali (Kajol). Their forbidden love causes a rift in the family until Rohan (Hrithik Roshan) takes on the challenge of mending the family back together. Karan Joha’s classic Bollywood film encapsulates the warmth and familiarity brought on by winter as it follows a family’s journey through reconciliation and understanding. Just as the title illustrates, sometimes life brings happiness and sometimes it brings sorrow. 

Vagabond (France)

Agnès Varda’s creative flair and impeccable writing work together to tell the story of the weeks leading up to the death of a wandering woman, Mona (Sandrine Bonnaire). A haunting tale, “Vagabond” harbors a stroke of despair paired with thrills and literal chills from the winter weather of the Languedoc-Roussillon wine country in France. As she encounters various characters, audiences become enthralled with Mona’s story along with the breathtaking countryside she roams. 

Winter Light (Sweden) 

A snowy Sweden glimmers amidst a dark, dreary set of failures surrounding Pastor Tomas Ericsson (Gunnar Björnstrand). Ingmar Bergman portrays the depth and complexities behind one’s relationship with religion. Shot in black and white, the film isolates its viewers in the story and mimics the subtle sadness of winter. Through Tomas’ interactions with various members of his community, Bergman explores the extremely personal and subjective nature of religion all within the stunning plains and snow-covered structures of various Swedish towns.

Wake in Fright (Australia) 

Depicting a snowless, sizzling winter down under, “Wake in Fright” follows John (Gary Bond) on holiday in Sydney, Australia. What John expects to be a relaxing trip with his girlfriend turns into a frenzy after a debilitating gambling spree leads to involvement with a bad crowd. This Australian western/thriller explores themes of toxic masculinity and confronts the realities of a 1970 outback Australia. The scenery of a dusty, scorching hot and naturally rich area adds to the Western-style film set in an Australian winter. 

Drive My Car (Japan)

Following the loss of his wife, Yûsuke Kafuku (Hidetoshi Nishijima) grapples with the remnants of his wife’s secretive life coming to light while simultaneously continuing to work as a playwright. While directing a play in Hiroshima, a 20-year-old, orphaned Misaki Watari (Tôko Miura) becomes his chauffeur. As the two spend more and more time together, a father-daughter bond develops, and they begin to find comfort in their respective sorrows and tumultuous lives. The bundled-up clothing and familial comfort echo sentiments of closeness and refuge associated with this time of year.