The impact of running for Longhorns

Rose Park

The burdens of college life can bring out the worst in a student’s mental health and wellbeing. The onslaught of pressure from classes, extracurricular activities and social life can overwhelm any UT student. Many students try to address their stress through a variety of hobbies, but I found that running is the most beneficial for my lifestyle. 

As a second-year student, I have experienced the burdens that come with the transition from high school to college, many of which came as a surprise during my first semester. The multitude of textbook readings, the expectation of better writing skills for essays and the responsibility of delegating my work schedule forced me to change how I viewed my academic duties. Increasing the amount of energy I put toward school made my stress skyrocket that semester. 

To help relieve the tension, I resorted to my preferred method of exercising: running. Whether I was dealing with an upcoming exam or making the final touches on an essay, running has always been a reliable source of stress relief, providing me with a healthy hobby that has made me happier and more productive. 

While the prospect of running may seem daunting and challenging for a newcomer with no experience, this should not be a deterrent to trying out this form of exercise. For starters, running has helped me break long streaks of studying or writing where I was holed up inside my apartment, avoiding fresh air. Feeling the breeze of the outdoors while appreciating Zilker Park is a captivating experience that has helped me break out of a studying slump countless times. 

Additionally, running can assist in living a healthier lifestyle and positively affect one’s mental and physical health. As a college student, time and schedules can be extremely tight, and one’s window to exercise is often limited to only 20-30 minutes each day. Running can help one reach their physical goals in a more efficient time frame. 

One easy method to break into running is running socially. Running with a partner or in a group of friends can help sustain one’s drive to reach their exercise goals on days they may not feel as motivated and can make exercise less intimidating. Additionally, running in a group can also accommodate students who may not feel comfortable running alone on the outer parts of campus or other spots in Austin. At UT, there are many student organizations that incorporate or utilize running as a focal point of their group like the Texas Running Club.

Life as a Longhorn can often be stressful and overbearing which is why it is imperative that students find methods to take care of their wellbeing. While assignments and study sessions may pile up, students should remember to prioritize their needs and happiness first. 

Running was one of many avenues that I could have taken to help cater to my happiness while going through this principal phase of my life, and it has led me to be the best version of myself. While its effectiveness may range across the student body of our university, I still encourage all Longhorns to give this activity a fair shot and see how it can benefit their student life. 

Lam is a government sophomore from Round Rock, Texas.