Backup quarterback Maalik Murphy plans to enter the transfer portal

Lorianne Willett
Redshirt sophomore Maalik Murphy launches the ball to his teammates against BYU on Oct. 28, 2023.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Maalik Murphy told the Texas coaching staff that he intends to enter the transfer portal, according to ESPN’s Pete Thamel. Murphy appeared in six games for Texas and started two while sophomore and starting quarterback Quinn Ewers was injured. 

During those six appearances, Murphy threw for 477 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions. Murphy was a key player in Ewers’ absence leading Texas to three key wins over Houston, BYU and Kansas State. Without Murphy leading Texas to those wins, it would not be playing in its first ever College Football Playoff. 

As reported by Thamel, Murphy told ESPN that he will not be with Texas during the College Football Playoff. 

“It’s nothing against Texas at all,” Murphy said. “I’m doing this purely for me and my future. In my eyes, I’ll always be a Longhorn and a part of this great team.”

Texas faces Washington in the Sugar Bowl on New Year’s Day, with a spot in the national championship on the line.