Texas lands commitment from star UTSA EDGE Trey Moore

Courtesy of Stephen Saenz/The Paisano

After signing 23 recruits on National Signing Day earlier this week, Texas kept its foot on the gas, landing several more top recruits. On Friday, Texas added its third commitment from the transfer portal with UTSA edge rusher Trey Moore. The sophomore from San Antonio, Texas recorded 22 sacks and over 100 tackles in two seasons for the Roadrunners.

According to On3 Sports, he is the No. 3 overall edge and No. 12 overall player in the transfer portal. He chose Texas over other power five schools such as Ohio State and Alabama. Moore will add depth to the Texas edge rusher group that includes junior Barryn Sorrell and sophomores Justice Finkley and Ethan Burke. 

On signing day, Sarkisian said that he only goes to the transfer portal when he knows that a player will have an immediate impact. Moore showcased his talent at UTSA and will be a key player for Texas starting next season. 

“When we go to the portal we’re trying to fill immediate needs,” Sarkisian said. “All the guys we go into the portal for, they fit what we’re about.”  

After the conclusion of early signing day, Texas added two more high school recruits in linebacker Tyanthony Smith and wide receiver Aaron Butler. All three players added to the Texas roster will be early enrollees and start practicing with the team in January.