4 no-skip albums turning 10 in 2024

As students settle into the new year with anticipation of fresh experiences in 2024, revisiting some of the aging but beloved Generation Z albums keeps motivation strong. Luckily, 2014 left  a selection of no-skip albums from artists who imprinted their lyrics and melodies in music lovers’ minds. The Daily Texan compiled a list of four of these irresistible albums that prove to be modern classics as they continue to stay in rotation a decade later.

Piñata by Freddie Gibbs and Madlib 

The 2014 release of Piñata by rapper Freddie Gibbs and DJ and producer Madlib undoubtedly shook the rap scene as a sophisticated and deadly collaboration. Madlib, famous for his work with the late MF DOOM, produced 17 beats riddled with vintage samples and amusing cuts that flow through the album from beginning to end. Gibbs’ lyrics dig deep into themes of crime, drugs and love while his deep voice complements Madlib’s productions on highlights like “Deeper” and “Thuggin.” Additionally, to bolster the project’s mastery, the duo welcomes a total of 15 features including rappers like Reakwon and Scarface who provide a cherry on top of an already no-skip album.

Sunbathing Animal by Parquet Courts

A mix of slow dance, mosh pit and drooling jams make up just a few of the boxes that Parquet Courts checks with their 2014 album Sunbathing Animal. Driven by tight instrumentals and poetically nuanced lyrics from front man Andrew Savage, the album’s versatile styles in songwriting give it the no-skip status it deserves. Despite releasing five albums since Sunbathing Animal’s huge success, none come close to this cohesive collection by Parquet Courts.

Faces by Mac Miller 

Recorded in Mac Miller’s home studio and released for free as a mixtape, Faces grasped the rap scene by showcasing Miller’s array of talent. The 25 track mixtape pushed Miller to a new level of song production with the freedom to personally produce beats and handpick musicians. Without pressure of a release date, Miller created an aroma of carefully crafted jazz and laid-back instrumentals that defined him as a producer. Concurrently, Miller’s contrast between lighthearted and dark lyrics give the album a personal touch. Evidently, the album’s unique creation and seven features, including artists Earl Sweatshirt and Vince Staples, create an uninterrupted stream of tunes that set a nearly unreachable bar.

Salad Days by Mac DeMarco

Warm, fuzzy and slick describes the mood Mac DeMarco’s breakout album Salad Days creates. Loaded with stellar guitar licks, tunes like “Blue Boy” and “Goodbye Weekend” paint a dreamy landscape that listeners won’t want to wake up from. While Salad Days presents DeMarco at his height of pop ballads, it also peaks on his sentimental side with carefully slow jams like “Let My Baby Stay,” solidifying the then young Canadian’s foundation for his career.