Rise, shine, get grooving! A Daily Texan playlist

Emma George

With 2024 starting off on a colder note, warmth and comfort certainly reside at the top of Austinites’ priorities. Whether immersed in one’s main character era or just vibing until meeting someone, The Daily Texan compiled a playlist to help Austinites rise, shine and feel good inside, no matter the forecast. 

“Valerie” by Mark Ronson & Amy Winehouse

With a strong and soulful influence, this cover of the Zeltons’ “Valerie” serves as a musical boost to kickstart the morning. Infused with groovy bass licks and energetic rhythms, this rendition, featuring the passionate voice of Amy Winehouse, captures the essence of the original while giving it a distinctive and uplifting twist.

“Make Your Own Kind of Music” by Cass Elliot

Released in 1969, folk-pop legend Cass Elliot from the Mamas and the Papas presents a positively charged song celebrating individuality. Aside from its reputation as the score to a Nick Cage and Pedro Pascal meme, its empowering message — coupled with the soulful melodies, sets a motivational tone for the day ahead.

“Amen” by Spacemen 3

A bold departure from the original “Amen” song found in the 1963 classic movie “Lilies in the Field,” the hypnotic nature of the track possesses a mood-elevating effect with its repetitive guitar riffs. The song’s sonic qualities contribute to a sense of tranquility for listeners who find solace in ambient sounds, providing a gentle introduction to the morning.

“Sunflower” by Post Malone & Swae Lee

The Miles-Morales-approved song contains positive vibes conveyed through joyful lyrics. With its modern and fresh sound, “Sunflower” offers a contemporary musical journey that resonates with current trends, making it a perfect choice for those looking to start their day on a positive and upbeat note.

“Mr. Blue Sky” by Electric Light Orchestra 

As an exceptional song to wake up to, the bright melody and feel-good lyrics align with the anticipation of a new day. With its diverse instrumentation and association with happiness, “Mr. Blue Sky” stands as a classic that resonates across generations.

“9 to 5” by Dolly Parton

The empowering message of overcoming challenges and striving for success resonates well in the context of the daily grind, fostering a can-do attitude. The song’s blending of country and pop elements adds variety to morning routines, making “9 to 5” a truly uplifting choice for those seeking a cheerful start to their day while they rub their nails together to the beat.

“Upside Down” by Jack Johnson

The acoustic track’s popularity soared as it became part of the soundtrack for the animated film “Curious George,” adding a layer of nostalgia that brings back fond memories of the lovable character. The familiarity associated with the song, coupled with its versatile and inoffensive nature, make it an ideal choice for a morning routine. 

“Dreams” by The Cranberries

Dolores O’Riordan’s emotive and passionate vocals establish an emotional connection with listeners, enhancing its feel-good capabilities. The song offers a perfect blend of cheerful elements that set a positive tone for the day ahead.