Texas Lonestars host Lonestar Palooza, benefit concert for their nonprofit, Project Princess

Elijah Olive

Four local bands will electrify West Campus after weeks of diligent planning in hopes of raising money for the local non-profit Project Princess. 

Spirit organization Texas Lonestars owns and operates Project Princess, a non-profit organization that provides cost-free dresses and accessories to local high school students attending their school’s prom. Texas Lonestars will host a benefit concert for Project Princess Saturday at The Cauldron from 7 p.m. to 12 a.m. with tickets costing $15. The concert will feature performances from four local bands — VO. A 2000, Collard Blues, 601 and Tealwaves.

“The goal of Project Princess was to alleviate the financial stress that is put on (students) when they’re in high school,” said Lindsey Dalton, psychology junior and Project Princess co-director. “Prom is a big expense for most (families), …  (and) the whole process can be straining.”

Lonestar Palooza raises money for Project Princess’ big event, Boutique Day, held on Mar. 2 and 3. During this event, Dalton said the high schoolers pick out their dresses and have their hair styled by Lonestar members. 

“We set up racks and racks of all these different dresses, color-code them so that people know where to go (and) set up tents where people can try on the dresses,” Dalton said. “Every single dress is free.”

Texas Lonestars president and public health senior Nadia Selod said Project Princess allows students to give back to the community in a unique way. 

“People shop around and you make awesome and deep social connections with everyone you interact with,” Selod said. “For some people, there’s a financial barrier or even an access barrier to find clothes that make you feel comfortable in your skin and beautiful just the way you are.”

Project Princess co-director Kimberly Culebro said it may feel disheartening to not experience prom in its entirety due to expenses. 

“I know it’s something that some people may think is minuscule, but it does affect a young girl’s high school experience,” said Culebro, a government and sociology sophomore.  

With the venue lacking the proper sound equipment, Culebro said coordinating with the bands to get supplies like a PA system and a drum set proved hectic.

“It’s easier to do this when you’re passionate about something because it’s not a chore to me,” Culebro said. “I want to do this, and I know why I’m doing it.”

With live music being a vital part of Austin culture, Selod said selecting local bands makes for a great way to get a taste of Austin’s music scene while giving back.

“I love live music, … so it feels like an Austin-like experience within the West Campus, and it’s easily accessible,” Selod said.

Selod said Texas Lonestars equips itself with members who think outside the norm, and Project Princess proves a testament to this. 

“Project Princess is our baby that we love and cherish, and hope to see it continue to grow,” Selod said.

Dalton said she looks forward to watching everyone come together and learn about Project Princess. 

“We want to spread that message of what Project Princess is actually about, because it’s fun, but it’s for a purpose,” Dalton said.