Inexpensive Valentine’s Day dates

Breyona Mitchell

Students don’t have to drop a pretty penny to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Whether you’re going out with friends or with a special someone, Austin offers many opportunities for excursions that won’t break the bank. The Daily Texan compiled a list of inexpensive Valentine’s Day date options. 

Perfect Picnic Places

Packing a snack and enjoying it with a view proves an inexpensive way to celebrate special occasions. Mount Bonnell, also known as Covert Park, serves as one of Austin’s highest points at nearly 775 feet above sea level. Following a climb of a little over 100 steps, Austin’s skyline, including UT’s tower, Lake Austin, the bordering hills and a few stars await onlookers every night. Zilker Park poses another option with a city view and sprawling green space. If students aren’t in the mood for packing food, Pease Park offers not only places to relax under the shade of trees and shiny Shoal Creek, but it also has a small drink stand called Brother Friend, open on Saturdays, and shaved ice at SnoRide open every day. Restaurants and food trucks sit near Mueller Lake Park, which, in addition to its loop trail, public art, and more, is their picnic peninsula close to the lake where a few ducks call home. 

Active Adventures

If students want a little more adventure this Valentine’s, the Ann and Roy Butler Hike-and-Bike Trail and Boardwalk at Lady Bird Lake provides a pathway that mixes nature along the water’s edge and urban life with a view of the city. The path serves as an easily accessible trail where hikers dictate their route on the 10-mile loop. However, a small portion of the trail is currently unavailable for construction work, causing a temporary reroute. Along the trail, students can find Lou Neff Point, home to a gazebo and a view of the beautiful Austin skyline. Inside the Wild Basin Wilderness Preserve lies a 2.5-mile trail with views of a waterfall, a creek and the basin which is open for hiking daily with no fees and reservations required on weekdays. For students interested in a longer hike, Southern Walnut Creek Trail, a fully paved urban trail more than 7 miles long, twists through the trees and foliage and connects Govalle Park to the Walnut Creek Sports Park. 

Stargazing 

Students needn’t go far to get a glimpse of the stars, with UT’s Wednesday night public viewing at the Physics, Math and Astronomy Building (PMA), which falls exactly on Valentine’s Day. Students can see the stars from inside the telescope dome. If you’re looking to celebrate a weekend early or after, Painter Hall offers public night viewings from their telescope on Fridays and Saturdays. Mount Bonnell is also a stargazing location with an open look at the sky available every evening.