No. 16 Texas baseball bounces back 9-4 to take the series over San Diego

Lorianne Willett
Jared Thomas runs to third base during Texas’ game against San Diego on Feb. 18, 2024.

After a slow start and going down 2-0 in the second inning on Sunday, Texas never looked back. 

Redshirt junior pitcher Tanner Witt started the game on the mound, but struggled after just one inning, loading the bases with no outs. Witt was swapped for redshirt sophomore Cody Howard, who got out of the inning with minimal damage, allowing two runs. 

Howard missed all of last season with an injury after transferring from Baylor. Head coach David Pierce had high praise for Howard after registering the win. 

“Cody was just outstanding,” Pierce said. “Once he came in, he attacked the (strike zone). He really got back to fastball and that (pitch) was the difference for him.” 

Howard pitched during four innings, struck out two, threw 39 strikes and only allowed one run and two hits. He showed lots of emotion and excitement while also having poise in stressful situations throughout his performance. 

“We talked in the locker room about how we’ve worked hard for this and (being) emotional out there and (having) fun,” Howard said. “I’m excited to be part of this team and anything I can do to help is awesome.”

Howard helped his team to victory with his pitching and defensive performance, only slipping up when he lost a fly ball in the sun and let it drop. Sophomore Jared Thomas, who started the game at center field after playing first base all weekend, also contributed a stellar performance. 

Thomas not only excelled making plays in the infield and outfield, but found success at the plate all weekend. After several base running mistakes on Saturday, Texas cleaned up its game, and Thomas even scored by stealing home. 

“The difference with Jared Thomas right now is that he’s a baseball player and he makes baseball decisions,” Pierce said. “When the guy is slow at the plate, he takes extra base, he advances from third to home. It’s instinct, you can’t coach that from the third base box or from the dugout. You got to be able to see things and then react and that’s what he’s doing.”

As the lead-off hitter, Thomas got the Texas offense started. Last night, Thomas was the team’s only offensive spark, hitting a three-run home run early. In the team’s third game of its San Diego series, Texas had nine hits and was patient in the batter’s box, taking walks and getting hit by several pitches, bringing home easy runs. The Longhorns also shuffled their lineup, giving players like freshman second baseman Dee Kennedy and sophomore designated hitter Jayden Duplantier a chance to prove themselves. 

While Thomas did not register an RBI today, his success in the batter’s box was crucial to getting the Texas scoring going. 

“We responded well,” Thomas said. “One thing that we talked about in our meeting is that we win on Sundays. You either sweep, survive or you win the series, the three s’s. It was really important for us to come out after a tough loss last night and jump on them early.”  

Now after winning its first series against a solid San Diego team and advancing to 2-1 on the season, Texas will return to UFCU Disch-Faulk Field on Tuesday to take on Houston Christian.