Head coach Vic Schaefer reaches 2 milestones in a week

Head+womens+basketball+coach+Vic+Schaefer+watches+his+team+play+offense+during+Texas+game+against+Kansas+State+on+Feb.+4%2C+2024.+
Kennedy Weatherby
Head women’s basketball coach Vic Schaefer watches his team play offense during Texas’ game against Kansas State on Feb. 4, 2024.

Texas women’s basketball head coach Vic Schaefer reached 400 career wins on Feb. 14 following a victory over Houston. Three days later, Texas defeated Iowa State, giving the coach his 100th win at Texas.

“It just means I’ve had some really good players over the years and some absolutely fantastic assistant coaches that have been a big part of it along the way,” Schaefer said. “As I’ve said many times, I can’t do it by myself.”

The coach hailing from Texas started his career as an assistant coach at Sam Houston State in 1987, where he stepped into the head coach role three years later. Schaefer’s most successful era started in 2011 when he took on the head coach position at Mississippi State.

“I’m certainly honored and appreciate everybody that’s touched my career,” Schaefer said. “That includes those first seven years at Sam Houston State when I had no staff, … no assistant coach. You just learn to do it all and then you appreciate those folks when you get to a position where I am now.”

During his time in Starkville, Mississippi, he was named two-time National Coach of the Year and led his team to five NCAA tournaments, four Sweet Sixteen, three Elite Eight and two final four appearances, reaching the national championship twice. In 2019, he became the second-fastest coach with an SEC program to win 200 victories at his 256th game with the Bulldogs.

He moved to Austin in 2020 to fill in the head coach vacancy at Texas. Since joining the team, he’s made it to two Elite Eights and one NCAA second round and has won 77% of his games. Under his mentorship, the Longhorns won their first Big 12 regular season title and Big 12 Championship since the 2003-2004 season. Schaefer was named the 2023 Big 12 Coach of the Season.

“I’ve really been blessed,” Schaefer said. “(The) Good Lord has been really good to me and my career. I’ve been at two universities that care deeply about women’s basketball and how lucky is that? How fortunate am I to have been at two great places that wanted us to win, wanted us to be successful?”

After reaching his 100th win on Saturday against Iowa State, the Texas players threw a bucket of confetti on him as a celebration. 

“It’s super special,” graduate guard Shaylee Gonzales said. “I’m super grateful to be playing on this team and for Vic Schaefer, congrats coach.”

Senior forward Shay Holle, who’s played for Schaefer since her freshman season, shared her teammate’s pride.

“I’ve been here for all 100 (wins),” Holle said. “We’ve definitely come a long way. It’s super special to be a part of it and I’m really happy for him and proud of him.”

Texas women’s basketball sits at No. 5 in the AP Polls, its highest of the season, ahead of the incoming Big 12 championships and March Madness.