Unite Together

Lorianne Willett
Presidential candidate Grace Kelly and vice presidential candidate Gabrielle “Elle” Grinnell on Feb. 20, 2024.

Editor’s note: This column was submitted to the Texan by members of the UT community.

As an Executive Alliance, we are running to Unite Together the student body at the University of Texas at Austin; through this op-ed, we aim to demonstrate how we plan to do just that. 

Recognizing and responding to the outcome of Senate Bill 17 remains the utmost priority. The recent closure of the Multicultural Engagement Center has left students without a vital sense of belonging. We intend to commit to strategically allocating funds to actively support and empower diverse student groups. Despite the bill not supposed to directly impact student-led organizations, some have already faced hurdles in room booking procedures. To assist, we pledge to proactively use our platform to streamline reservations, ensuring fair access to campus spaces. Through an open forum and monthly town halls, we aim to foster constructive communication, providing students with a platform to be seen and heard. This approach not only resolves immediate concerns but also cultivates a stronger sense of community among diverse members. 

The pandemic’s disruptive effects on academic and personal lives have exacerbated pre-existing mental health issues, underscoring the critical need for comprehensive and accessible support systems within university environments. Acknowledging the recent rise in suicides, we aim to bridge the gap between allocated funds and resource utilization at the Counseling and Mental Health Center. Our focus is to create an environment where mental health resources are not just abundant but actively accessed. Addressing the lack of support in Class Absence Notification and Course Load Reduction processes, personalized assistance will be provided for successful accommodation procedures. To enhance accessibility, Mental Health Modules will educate students from the outset, accessible through a pre-installed Canvas page. Despite valuable short-term counseling services, recognizing the vulnerability in transitioning to long-term therapy, we advocate for the implementation of long-term counseling services provided by the university. Our commitment is to ensure that resources and guidance are not only increased but readily available to support the well-being of the student body. 

Commending the Food Insecurity Action Agency, we propose revitalizing a comprehensive food distribution program on Speedway. The initiative, inclusive of regular schedules, student volunteer involvement, collaboration with the Food Insecurity Action Agency, and leveraging UT Outposts, aims to provide immediate resources and raise awareness through educational initiatives on nutrition and budget-friendly meal planning.

Additionally, we strive to address the urgent need for a holistic career development policy, focusing on supporting “pre-grad” students navigating diverse paths. The solutions include a mobile app, trained academic advisors, financial literacy programs, elective courses, and modules on legal responsibilities to equip students for personal and professional success. 

Emphasizing comprehensive support and autonomy, we plan to integrate resources into the CMHC website, expand hygiene product accessibility, enhance support at CMHC through trained advisors, and collaborate with the Women’s Resource Agency. Collaborating with Planned Parenthood broadens resources and educates students about reproductive health options. 

Together, let’s transform UT Austin into a place where every student feels academically fulfilled and truly at home, unleashing the boundless potential within our collective community. A vote for unity is a vote for Grace and Elle – Vote on February 26th & 27th at utexasvote.org.

Kelly is a Plan II Honors and Human Development and Family Sciences major from McAllen, TX. Grinnell is a Journalism major and Business minor from Dallas, TX.