No. 15 Texas blasts past St. John’s 15-4

Ale De La Fuente
Jalin Flores swings a grand slam in the fourth inning, putting Texas in the lead against St John’s University on Feb 25, 2024.

With both teams tied at three runs each in the fourth inning, sophomore shortstop Jalin Flores launched a grand slam 418 feet to left field to give Texas a four-run lead. The four-run bomb was just what Texas needed to get the offense flowing and take down the St. John’s Johnnies.

After the grand slam put Texas up 7-3, the Longhorns opened the floodgates and finished the game with a final score of 15-4.

Texas got off to a slow start and at one point trailed 3-2.

“We played a pretty scrappy team and it was a really close game early,” Head Coach David Pierce said. “Flores’ home run really busted it open.” 

Prior to Flores’ home run, sophomore outfielder Max Belyeu walked and then benefitted from a sacrifice fly and bunt to advance to third base. Freshman outfielder Will Gasparino stepped up to the plate and singled to the shortstop, bringing Belyeu home. 

The hit was just one of Gasparino’s four RBI on the night, and he made it on base on all three of his at-bats. The freshman showed his potential and set up his team for scoring success. 

After Gasparino’s single, St. John’s loaded the bases, putting Flores right where he wanted to be. Two outs, bases loaded. After he launched the grand slam, the floodgates of scoring opened up for Texas. 

“We had a good approach to the plate today,” Gasparino said. “From the bottom of the order to the top everyone saw the ball well and had good at-bats. It was a good team win.” 

Flores especially had good at-bats. In the seventh inning, Flores launched another bomb, this time hitting a 434-foot home run to center field, bringing redshirt senior and third baseman Peyton Powell home. 

The seventh inning was another five-run inning for Texas, bringing the scoring total to 15 runs. Powell got the inning’s scoring started with three RBI double down the right-field line. 

The two high scoring innings canceled out the slow start and emphasized what Pierce is really looking for: improvement. 

“Tuesday night, Sunday night, doesn’t matter. We’re just trying to get better,” Pierce said. “We know we were in a pretty tough game early. We weren’t pitching well early, but (we keep) finding ways to win. Whether it’s offense, great defensive plays, you know, the back end of the bullpen, it’s all important but it’s all about growth right now.”

With young players like Gasparino and Flores playing such key roles in the lineup, they understand how important it is for them to keep improving as the season progresses. Gasparino is only in his third week of college baseball and has already seen impressive growth with his hitting. 

Against San Diego, Gasparino recorded three hits combined all weekend. Tonight against St. John’s, he had three hits for his solo act. 

To get the win against St. John’s, everyone did their jobs. 

“I’m really pleased with some offensive approaches with (Jared Thomas) and Peyton just continuing to do their thing,” Pierce said. “(It was a) big night for Gasperino, which is huge for him as he’s continuing to grow.” 

This weekend, Texas will travel to Houston to play in the Astros College Classic where it will face No. 3 LSU, Texas State and No. 9 Vanderbilt.