Teagan Kavan goes full as No. 2 Texas escapes RV/NA Texas State, winning 1-0

Lorianne Willett

Freshman pitcher Teagan Kavan is having herself a debut season. 

In 32.2 innings pitched so far, Kavan has given up a total of six runs, has a team-high 35 strikeouts, and is posting an ERA of 1.29. Additionally, in her past 19.2 innings, she has allowed just six hits, struck out 17 batters, and allowed zero runs. 

And in a game where defense was needed, Kavan did not disappoint. Traveling to San Marcos to take on the 14-4 Bobcats of Texas State, she helped lead her Longhorns to a 1-0 victory and improved the team’s record to 13-1 on the season. 

“I just saw really good stuff from Teagan tonight,” head coach Mike White said. “Her velocity was good, her control was great. Every time we got in trouble tonight, she came through for the team and that’s what you need in those situations.”

On her birthday, the right-hander from Iowa had a seven-inning complete game, the second of her young career. She threw just 94 pitches, totaled nine K’s and kept the Bobcats to zero runs. Kavan has now thrown 22 consecutive innings without recording a run. 

“I just felt good out of the bullpen,” said Kavan. “It’s always a tough game against Texas State, so I knew I had to come out and bring it.”

Texas State brought their best hurler off the mound. Senior Jessica Mullins, posting a 0.94 ERA heading into the night, had given up just seven runs on 47.2 innings pitched. Between Kavan and Mullins, the night was set to be a pitcher’s duel.

“With the conditions tonight, we knew we weren’t going to be able to score a lot of runs,” said White. “So it was a good night to watch a great pitching matchup.”

Texas State came into the game on a heater, sweeping the Arizona State/Grand Canyon Invitational by beating Arizona State, Seton Hall, Ohio State, Utah Valley, Idaho State, and Grand Canyon. 

But now, they were to face No. 2 Texas, their first-ranked opponent of the season. 

The first three innings were quiet. Kavan gave up just one hit, a single to left field in the second, and Mullins gave up two. One was off a successful bunt by freshman left fielder Kayden Henry in the second inning as well as a single to left field in the third by sophomore infielder Leighann Goode. 

The fourth inning separated the knot between the two schools as senior first baseman Joley Mitchell, coming in to pinch hit for sophomore shortstop Vivi Martinez, converted on a single to left field. She brought in freshman catcher Katie Stewart, who doubled down the right field line two batters before.

Once the fourth was concluded, thanks to a good coaching decision by the Longhorn staff, Texas led 1-0. 

In the last three innings, Kavan struck out five batters and shut out the Bobcats in the process. 

On her 19th birthday, the freshman from West Des Moines brought in the Longhorn’s 13th victory of the season and remains undefeated as a starter, her record now standing at 6-0.

Texas softball will play next on Friday, March 1, against Northwestern State to open up the Longhorn Invitational at the Red and Charline McCombs Field.