Monarch terminated partially due to potential violation of 1996 act, communications reveal

Ana Campos

Monarch, a program for undocumented and temporary status students, was terminated due a potential violation of U.S. immigration laws, in addition to Senate Bill 17, according to internal University communications obtained by the Texan.

An email sent to Center for Leadership and Learning staff on Jan. 9 said the University decided to “wind down” Monarch and its services due to a possible violation of section 505 of the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996 by “providing benefits to undocumented students (including DACA), while not providing them to citizens.” 

The section in question bars states from giving “postsecondary education benefits” to individuals “not lawfully present” unless they are available to all citizens.

On Jan. 17, students received an email that cited SB 17 as a reason for Monarch’s discontinuation. The email sent to staff listed Monarch under “non SB 17 related changes.”

A University spokesperson said Monarch should have been listed under SB 17 changes in the email sent to staff and confirmed that the University closed the program due to both reasons.