Texas draws No. 7 seed in 2024 NCAA Tournament

Skyler Sharp
Head coach Rodney Terry watches his team as they play against Delaware State on Nov. 10, 2023. The Longhorns won the game 86-59.

The Longhorns are Charlotte-bound.

On Sunday, Texas men’s basketball discovered where it slots into this year’s NCAA Tournament, named a No. 7 seed in the Midwest Region and taking on either Virginia or Colorado State in the opening round. 

Texas (20–12) getting the nod as a No. 7 seed raised some eyebrows, as the Longhorns were widely pegged as a No. 8 or No. 9 seed–a fate that seemed set in stone after their disappointing loss to Kansas State in the second round of last week’s Big 12 Tournament. The storylines don’t stop there, and if Texas can win its opener, a matchup against second-seeded Tennessee and former Texas head coach Rick Barnes would potentially await.

Texas Head Coach Rodney Terry’s current focus is on his team’s first-round matchup.

“The first game is always the hardest game,” Terry said. “There is no second game if you don’t win the first game. So you’ve got to put everything you have into game number one, you’ll deal with game number two if you’re fortunate and blessed to get to the next one. … The only thing we can think of right now is Virginia and Colorado State: two well-coached teams, two teams that have done extremely well this season, and that’s all we have guaranteed in front of us right now.”

Colorado State opens as a slight favorite over Virginia ahead of their matchup for the No. 10 seed. The Rams (24–10) are led by graduate guard Isaiah Stevens, who is averaging 16.5 points and seven assists on the year.

The Cavaliers (23–10) enter with championship experience, led by Head Coach Tony Bennett and ACC Defensive Player of the Year Reece Beekman. Bennett captained Virginia to its lone national title in 2019, but the Cavaliers haven’t won an NCAA Tournament game since. 

If Virginia were to defeat Colorado State, it would mean a reunion for graduate forward Kadin Shedrick, who spent his first four years with Virginia before transferring to Texas this past offseason.

“I think the important thing for us is to really stay in the moment and take it one game at a time,” graduate guard Max Abmas said. “We’re only promised 40 more minutes, so we’ve got to have the right approach with that. I think it starts in practice, practicing with the right intensity, just understanding the level that we have to play with.

Abmas, who opted to transfer to Texas for his final season of eligibility, is no stranger to March Madness, making the NCAA Tournament twice in four years at Oral Roberts University. The Golden Eagles’ 2021 run ended in a Sweet 16 appearance, largely behind Abmas’ play.

“I’m excited,” Abmas said. “Last year, to have the opportunity to compete in the NCAA Tournament, it’s the reason I came to Texas. You work all summer, all fall for this moment right here, for March Madness.”

The Longhorns will find out their opponent after Virginia and Colorado State face off on Tuesday night as part of the First Four slate of games. Texas will play the winner on Thursday at the Spectrum Center at 5:50 p.m. CT for a chance at playing the winner of the St. Peter’s versus Tennessee duel on Saturday.