Shaylee Gonzales declares for 2024 WNBA draft

Skyler Sharp
Graduate Student guard Shaylee Gonzales evades opponents as she dribbles the ball across the court on March 24, 2024. Gonzales had three steals and two assists in the second round game against Alabama, to help the Longhorns win 65-54.

Texas women’s basketball guard Shaylee Gonzales announced her declaration for the 2024 WNBA draft after six years of collegiate basketball.

Gonzales announced her next steps through a post shared by the Texas women’s basketball social media accounts.

“First, I’d like to thank God for blessing me with the ability to play basketball, I wouldn’t be anywhere without Him,” Gonzales wrote. “I’d like to thank my family and friends for the endless love and support.”

The oldest daughter of two former Grand Canyon University basketball players, Gonzales grew up around the game. When she was 15, she got her first Division I offer from BYU at an elite training camp. Two years later, she committed to the university and after four years in Provo, Gonzales was named an All-American through The Athletic’s second-team honors and an AP honorable mention.

With two years of eligibility left, Gonzales decided it was time to join a bigger stage at Texas. 

“To Coach Schaefer, thank you for giving me the opportunity to finish my last two years of eligibility at Texas,” Gonzales said. “I have learned so much from you, not just about basketball but also about life. It has been an experience I will never forget and will always miss.”

Since arriving in Austin, the graduate student has started in all 74 games for the Longhorns, averaging 9.4 points per game in the 2023-2024 season. Adding her BYU career points to those at Texas, Gonzales has scored a total of 2,369 points. Had these all been scored during her time at Texas, she would be the program’s second-all-time top scorer.

“Shaylee’s special,” senior guard Shay Holle said. “I’m super proud of her. I know she has a lot of great things ahead. It’s not like her story stops here at all, we’re super blessed to have had her the past two years. She’s an amazing person more than anything and I know God has a lot of great things in store for her so I’m excited for her in that way.”

What’s next for Gonzales’ career will be decided on April 15 as 36 college players will be drafted into the 12 WNBA teams throughout three rounds of the draft. Gonzales is not predicted by major outlets to be a first-round pick, but there will be 24 more opportunities for her to land. 

Gonzales could stay close to home in Arizona if drafted by the Phoenix Mercury, stay in the Lone Star State if drafted by the Dallas Wings, or start an adventure somewhere new like Minnesota, Los Angeles or New York. 

“To that little girl with a crazy, big dream, all your hard work and sacrifice was worth it,” Gonzales wrote. “You’ve been living out your dreams.”