Texas baseball falls 7-5 to BYU, face pitching struggles, lack of offensive momentum

Miranda Revilla
Infielder Jack O’Dowd hits a home run against BYU on Thursday.

Despite putting in a thrilling effort to make a last-minute comeback, Texas baseball couldn’t generate enough momentum on Thursday night against BYU, falling 7-5 in its first game of the series. 

Following the loss, the Longhorns have dropped the first game of a series four consecutive times in the season.      

Texas was unable to get the offense going early, yet BYU immediately brought the energy to compensate. BYU sophomore left fielder Luke Anderson began with a walk to first base, stealing second and was followed by another walk from sophomore third baseman Easton Jones. A single from sophomore catcher Collin Reuter brought Anderson home, and a sacrifice fly to left field from freshman designated hitter Kuhio Aloy brought another runner in, putting the Cougars up 2-0. 

With the Longhorns yet to get on the board, BYU sophomore shortstop Chipper Beck homered to left field for another RBI at the top of the second inning. Reuter launched a home run of his own in the top of the third, while Texas faced a double-play in the first inning to prevent its chances at scoring.

“We had our rhythm denied early on, and they held onto that momentum,” head coach David Pierce said. “We just allowed too many free passes to score.”   

Down 4-0 entering the fourth inning, freshman pitcher Easton Tumis took to the mound in hopes of gaining some defensive traction.

Tumis was able to finish out the top of the fourth with a strikeout and double-play from the infield, holding BYU scoreless for the first time all evening, but it wouldn’t mean much as the Cougars continued to dominate into the fifth inning, registering a double and a single for two RBIs to increase their lead 6-0.   

Despite facing sophomore pitcher Ben Hansen, who started the matchup with a 6.31 ERA, Texas failed to get on the board for four innings under his control. 

In similar fashion to the team’s midweek win over Abilene Christian University, the Longhorns finally found some footing during the fifth inning. Sophomore catcher Rylan Galvan gave the Longhorns their first run of the night, making his way around the diamond and scoring on a single by freshman second baseman Dee Kennedy. Redshirt senior Peyton Powell struck a single to center field for an RBI to put Texas at 6-2. 

After spending some time away from the starting lineup, senior designated hitter Jack O’Dowd returned with a home run to right field at the bottom of the sixth inning. Kennedy would go on to hit a triple down the left-field line for two RBI as Texas inched closer to taking over the lead.

Bringing a 7-5 score into the bottom of the ninth, the Longhorns had one more shot at tying the game but weren’t able to clinch the opportunity.

“We scratched and clawed, our offense just couldn’t get that good flow going,” Pierce said. 

Texas will return to UFCU Disch-Falk Field on Friday night to face BYU for the second game of the series at 7:30 p.m.