Student experiences working at CMT Awards

Emma George

Last year, the Country Music Television Awards came to the live music capital of the world for the first time in its history. Due to the award show’s close relationship with the University, many students work for the CMT Awards in various roles, including PR assistants, red carpet escorts and more. This year, the CMT Awards have taken a more pronounced presence on campus with the utilization of the Tower and other on-campus facilities for the ceremony.

Advertising senior Laine Farber said working as a red carpet escort was an experience she thinks Longhorns interested in the entertainment industry should try it out.

“It was a super fast-paced, chaotic environment, which is an environment that I personally really thrive in,” Farber said. “Anyone who’s seeking that type of opportunity and is interested in that type of environment, I would absolutely recommend.”

Farber said having this opportunity in Austin gave her hands-on experience that might have otherwise been out of reach.

“It’s like, ‘Oh my gosh, what are these giant celebrities doing on my college campus?’” Farber said. “It’s really special how much UT is integrated into the event.”

Corporate communications senior Tatjana Gamboa said working the award show helped her decide on a career path. 

“I learned I really like fast-paced environments. I’m not a big fan of doing desk work,” Gamboa said.

Through her work as a red carpet escort at the 2023 ceremony, Gamboa said she got to work with celebrities, including Travis Kelce. 

“He was cool,” Gamboa said. “I was like, ‘Hi, how are you doing? How’s the travel?’ just basic questions. I was showing him from the carpet to the seat, so it was a very quick exchange.” 

Similarly, Ashley Diaz, a theater and dance and radio-television-film senior, said as a country music fan, working at the award show was a good way to experience some of her favorite artists up close and personal.

“I got to hear (Cody Johnson) do his warm-ups and hear his rehearsals, and the same thing (happened) with Jelly Roll, who ended up winning (Male Breakthrough Video),” Diaz said.

Diaz worked as a production assistant for the show. 

“It was really long hours. I worked there for three days, all 12-hour days, but it was awesome,” Diaz said. “The production behind it was super awesome. That was the best part of seeing those things because I’m just a really big country music fan.” 

Diaz said having these opportunities available to students makes the school special, especially for those looking to pursue an entertainment career.

“It’s one of the things that makes UT a premier university,” Diaz said. “I love that UT has these options available. It’s pretty cool the same way that they have ACL TV and South by Southwest opportunities. If UT wants to continue to make a prominent name in film, this is definitely the way to keep on going.”