The Daily Texan’s playlist to leave you in the dark

Analise Pickerrell

Anticipation builds as Austin gets ready for a unique occurrence happening in the skies today — a total solar eclipse. To commemorate this extraordinary occurrence, The Daily Texan curated an eclipse-themed playlist perfect for today’s viewing.

“Total Eclipse of the Heart” by Bonnie Tyler

This power ballad featuring explosive vocals and orchestral strings with dynamic crescendos pulls at the listener’s heartstrings as Tyler sings about a heartbreak that leaves her feeling empty. Like Tyler’s lyrics, eclipse viewers should “turn around” wearing protective glasses for safe watching.

“Here Comes the Sun” by The Beatles

Gentle guitar riffs and a bright tone are showcased in this song from The Beatles’ studio album, Abbey Road. The uplifting melody holds themes of optimism with the recurring lyrics “Here comes the sun / and I say, it’s alright”, serving as a metaphor for overcoming darkness and finding comfort in brighter days.

“Once in a Lifetime” by Talking Heads

Featuring synthesizers, groovy guitar riffs and David Byrne’s recognizable eccentric vocals, this funky new-wave track serves as a reminder not to miss this week’s total eclipse. Texas was first in the line of totality in 1878 and will not be again until 2317, living up to the “Once in a Lifetime” song title. 

“You’re So Vain” by Carly Simon

This alluring pop-rock anthem showcases piano, catchy backup vocals and a memorable hook that follows Simon’s telling of a self-absorbed lover oblivious to their faults. Simon’s lyrics “Then you flew your Learjet to Nova Scotia to see a total eclipse of the sun” refer to an eclipse occurring in 1970.

“Seven” by Taylor Swift

An eclipse song for Swifties, Swift’s imagery evokes nostalgic feelings with her lyrics featuring childhood reminiscence. Just as light emerges after darkness during an eclipse, Swift paints a theme of hope after the loss of childhood. 

“Ain’t No Sunshine” by Bill Withers

Listeners are captivated by this emotional ballad featuring Withers’ soulful vocals with the minimal usage of instruments. He compares the absence of light, similar to a total eclipse, to his feelings without his lover in the lyrics, “It’s not warm when she’s away”.

“Ray of Light” by Madonna

Electronic beats and playful vocals are featured in this high-energy song by Madonna, who will grace the Moody Center later this month on her celebration tour. She uses light to symbolize freedom and empowerment through themes of self-discovery and embracing change.