University, City of Austin to collect, donate recycled solar eclipse glasses

Breyonna Mitchell

With potentially thousands of people coming to campus to view the total solar eclipse on Monday, the University is taking steps to ensure all of the almost 100,000 purchased glasses are recycled afterward, according to Marissa Stubbe, a production coordinator with University Events and Experience.

Each of the 16 eclipse viewing areas on campus will have clearly labeled cardboard recycling bins for people to dispose of their eclipse glasses from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Stubbe said. People throughout the city can also recycle their glasses at Austin Parks and Recreation facilities and Austin Public Libraries through April 26. 

The glasses will then be collected by the City of Austin to be checked for reusability and donated to Astronomers Without Borders, a non-profit organization distributing donated solar eclipse glasses worldwide. 

Dawn Davies, night sky program manager with Hill Country Alliance, an organization helping prepare communities for eclipses, said part of the recycling initiative is to minimize the eclipse’s environmental impact, as the paper, plastic and other filaments the glasses are made from take a significant time to break down in a landfill. 

“(Recycling the glasses) ensures that potentially for the next one to three years … (the glasses) are reused (in future eclipses), and they’re passed on so they don’t go to waste, and more folks get exposure to this amazing phenomenon,” Davies said. 

Jessica Gilzow, culture and arts education manager for Austin Parks and Recreation, said she hopes Austin and the surrounding community set a precedent for recycling and donating solar eclipse glasses that can help Astronomers Without Borders move forward with their initiative. 

“I like the fact that as Austin and the University of Texas, and other organizations throughout the whole country, we’ve come together to say we’re going to work together to try to move this effort forward,” Gilzow said.