‘Fallout’ takes viewers across wasteland with faithful adaptation of beloved gaming franchise

Courtesy of Prime Video

“Fallout,” a TV show from Amazon based on the hit game franchise of the same name from Bethesda Game Studios, follows the world hundreds of years after nuclear fallout demolishes it. After vault dweller Lucy MacLean’s (Ella Purnell) father, Hank MacLean (Kyle MacLachlan), gets kidnapped by a group of raiders, Lucy must leave the safety of Vault 33 and explore the barren wasteland for her father while encountering the dangers and people that inhabit it.

Game adaptations always struggle to maintain the heart and charm of their original IP, but “Fallout” nails it in every capacity. The costume department took designs from the games and crafted their own visual representation that still resembles the visuals from decades-old games. In particular, the blue and yellow vault jumpsuits look exactly like the Vault Tech suits from the games and will leave franchise fans daydreaming of having their own. The set design also lives up to the game, as it takes on the browns and grays of the wasteland while still managing to sprinkle in a variety of reds, blues and greens from things like the junk that crafts the town of Filly found in episode two. Lastly, the music feels ripped straight from the games with some classics such as Betty Hutton’s “It’s A Man” or The Ink Spot’s “Don’t Want to Set the World on Fire” while also grabbing some new songs to fit the classic ‘50s radio aesthetics from the original games.

Creatives behind this show clearly respected and loved the “Fallout” franchise evidenced by many easter eggs sprinkled throughout like ads for the game’s famous drink Nuka-Cola. One of the character’s backstories is even a reference to a side mission in “Fallout 4” entitled “Kid in a Fridge.” The Brotherhood members’ power armor also looks exactly like in the game, showing the dedication to detail.

The main two problems of “Fallout” come in its writing and its reliance on references. The script at times feels like Marvel dialogue. For example, one character in the first episode is about to meet their arranged marriage partner and people are stalling so she exclaims, “Okay, so who am I marrying?” It feels sloppy, silly and not in sync with the franchise’s humor. Dialogue scenes also tend to drag on for too long, evidently trying to inflate the runtime. While the references made to the games are appreciated, it feels like it leaves casual viewers behind if they do not already care about the “Fallout” series. Lastly, Maximus (Aaron Moten) makes for a rather annoying character to follow. The actor’s performance is not the issue, but the arc given to the character feels rushed and undeveloped, making for a bothersome lead for most of the season.

“Fallout” makes for an incredible adaptation of a video game franchise despite some minor scripting issues and story choices that leave casual audiences behind. There’s a lot to love in this first season, and fans of the franchise will be satisfied and hopeful for season two. Good luck in the wasteland, vault dwellers!

3 ½ Nuka-Cola bottles out of 5