Texas baseball gets dominated in all game aspects and falls to Houston 9-1

Miya Tanner
Freshman catcher Nik Sanders high-fives Senior pitcher Charlie Hurley at game two of the annual Fall World Series held at UFCU Disch-Falk Field on Nov. 3, 2023. Hurley acted as a coach for all three of the Orange vs. Stripes scrimmage games held.

Texas baseball loses its fifth straight series opener, this time falling to Houston in the opening game of the first and only Big 12 matchup between the teams. The Cougars defeated the Longhorns 9-1 thanks to a stellar pitching performance, ending their 11-game conference losing streak. 

After losing four straight series-opening games, Texas baseball head coach David Pierce made a lineup change hoping for different results. Sophomore Max Grubbs started on the mound for Texas instead of redshirt junior and Big 12 Preseason Pitcher of the Year Lebarron Johnson Jr. Going into the game, Grubbs, the previous Sunday starter, had an ERA of 3.00 and a record of 4–1 on the season. 

The decision resulted in no change as Grubbs struggled and Texas has now lost five straight series openers.

Houston wasted little time getting started. In the second inning, Grubbs threw a wild pitch that led to a run, gave up a two-run home run in the fourth, a solo home run in the fifth and an RBI single. 

Through five innings, Grubbs threw 84 pitches, struck out three, hit two and walked one batter. He gave up six hits for five runs for a 3.73 ERA.  

The Texas offense also struggled to get going as it was no match for Houston’s pitcher, senior Owen Woodward who retired the first 10 batters he faced. The Longhorns did not get anyone on base until the fifth inning when freshman center fielder Will Gasparino hit a solo home run to left field. 

However, Woodward’s stellar night unexpectedly ended when he left the game in the fifth inning holding his elbow. But with Woodward out of the game, Houston’s strong pitching continued as junior Cade Citelli took over. The Cougars held the Longhorns to just one hit until sophomore shortstop Jalin Flores singled to left center field in the seventh inning. 

For Texas, the pitching struggles continued as redshirt sophomore Cody Howard took over for Grubbs and immediately gave up a single and two-run home run. He walked one more batter and in an attempt to pick him off at first base missed and gave up two free bases. 

In the seventh inning, Howard continued to struggle as he gave up a single and walked two to load the bases. He got out of the inning with two pop-outs and a strikeout for Houston’s first scoreless inning since the fourth. 

On the mound for Houston, Woodward and Citelli gave up just one run on two hits in a stellar performance where they struck out a combined 16 batters and walked none. The trio of Texas pitchers struck out just seven, walked five and hit two batters. 

The teams will return to the field in Houston tomorrow for game two of the series. Junior pitcher Ace Whitehead will start on the mound for Texas and look to get his team back in the win column.