5 Films from various genres with summer vibes

Teagan Jensen

As the countdown to summer begins, The Daily Texan has compiled a list of films across numerous genres sure to get students in that summer mindset. From thriller to comedy, grab a bowl of popcorn and jump into summer with these picks. 

Musical- Mamma Mia!

This 2008 jukebox musical follows a mother-daughter duo as Donna (Meryl Streep) prepares for her daughter’s wedding. Meanwhile, bride-to-be Sophie (Amanda Seyfried) curates a secret plan to find her real father and invites three men from her mother’s past to the wedding. Set on a fictitious Greek island, “Mamma Mia!” boasts quintessential summertime feels. From the vibrant colors to the captivating music, viewers can feel the Aegean waves from Austin. 

Romance- Dirty Dancing 

This iconic film introduces Baby (Jennifer Grey) as she spends her summer at a resort in the Catskills with her parents. She falls in love with the resort’s dance instructor, Johnny (Patrick Swayze), but her father forbids her from seeing him. However, Baby stays determined to help Johnny perform the last big dance of the summer. The unforgettable dance numbers and snappy dialogue guarantee an enjoyable watch and present viewers with a new summer spirit. 

Comedy- Dazed and Confused 

Set in Austin, “Dazed and Confused” follows a group of teenagers celebrating their last day of high school and an adventure-packed first day of summer. Whether it be the appearance of alumnus Matthew McConaughey or the light-hearted nature, this movie ensures an entertaining experience. Teleport to summer in the ‘70s with this nostalgic film. 

Action- Top Gun: Maverick 

This blockbuster sequel to “Top Gun” tells the story of Pete “Maverick” Mitchell (Tom Cruise), after more than 30 years of service as one of the Navy’s top aviators. Maverick trains a detachment of graduates for a special assignment but must confront his deepest fears, on a mission that demands the ultimate sacrifice. “Top Gun: Maverick” captivates and builds an urge for audience members to book a flight to California. This cinema hit proves ample to fit any summer action film desires. 

Thriller- Fear Street Part Two: 1978

A Netflix original, “Fear Street Part Two: 1978,” shows how a summer of fun turns into a gruesome fight for survival as a killer terrorizes the cursed town of Shadyside. Set in a summer camp, this sequel from a trilogy series guarantees chills down the spine and jump scares throughout. Though a thriller film, the catchy soundtrack evokes pure summer bliss. From Nirvana to The Runaways, this movie’s music entrances viewers to a late-night car drive on a crisp summer night.