Women’s basketball seniors DeYona Gaston, Shay Holle to take separate career paths after 4 years

Skyler Sharp
Senior Shay Holle smiles and throws up her horns after defeating Alabama in the second round of March Madness on March 24, 2024.

At the end of every season, there are lots of changes to every team due to the transfer portal. Texas is no exception to this, and with the current seniors having an extra year of eligibility due to COVID-19, roster changes are inevitable. 

Born and raised in Austin, there was no place for Shay Holle other than Texas. After graduating in three years from the McCombs School of Business and playing for her lifelong team as a first-year graduate student, Holle decided to use her extra year of eligibility and spend another year as a Longhorn. 

Holle wasn’t the only senior to opt into playing her fifth year, as forward Taylor Jones, who transferred from Oregon State in 2022, also announced she is staying in Austin for another year. 

However, a surprise for Longhorn fans might have come from senior forward DeYona Gaston, who earned the honor of Big 12 Sixth Player of the Year after her consistent impact from the bench. On Thursday Gaston announced that she would be entering the transfer portal for her final year of eligibility.

“I’ve had the honor of calling UT home for the past four years, during which I’ve learned a lot about myself and formed relationships I’ll never forget,” Gaston wrote in an Instagram post. “I would like to express my gratitude to my coaches, teammates and supporters for their unwavering support both on and off the court the past few years.” 

Gaston and Holle both joined the program in 2020 and were part of head coach Vic Schaefer’s first recruiting class at Texas. Since then, they have reached three Elite Eights in four NCAA Tournament appearances. While Holle played in all 38 games her senior season and started in 26, Gaston had setbacks with injuries. 

In the Orange-White scrimmage in October, she had to leave the game early with an ankle injury and was unable to return to the court until December. Despite struggling with her ankle twice in the season, Gaston gave her all in all 25 games played, averaging 8.4 points and 4.2 rebounds per game. 

On top of physical injuries, Gaston was sick the night before the NCAA Tournament opening game against Drexel. Nevertheless, she stepped onto the court and dropped a double-double performance with 11 points and 10 rebounds.

“I mean, just feeling that way and still wanting to play for us,” freshman forward Madison Booker said after the Drexel game. “It just shows a commitment that we all have to our end goal.”

Before the start of the season, Holle said the goal was to win the Big 12 tournament championship. 

“I think this team is more than capable,” Holle said in September. 

Holle’s Big 12 All-Defensive Team selection and Booker’s All-Big 12 Honorable Mention selection are evidence of that capability. Holle now aims for one last shot at winning the conference championship and going far in the NCAA Tournament for Texas.