Texas men’s golf finishes sixth at Western Intercollegiate

Courtesy of Texas Athletics

Texas men’s golf sophomore Tommy Morrison posted a collegiate-career high finish of fourth at the Western Intercollegiate, following his 4-under par final round.

No. 17 Texas spent its week in Santa Cruz, California competing at the Pasatiempo Golf Club against No. 8 Washington and No. 9 Arizona. The Longhorns finished sixth, after carding a 17-over 1067 team score.

Morrison began his ascent up the leaderboard during Tuesday’s second round, recording a clean scorecard of three birdies and 15 pars. This push boosted his standings 43 places up the individual leaderboard to a tie for 20th heading into Wednesday.

Building upon this momentum, Morrison tallied five more birdies and 12 pars to finish tied for fourth individually with a 2-under 208 three-round-score. This is his highest result since the Southern Highlands Collegiate Feb. 25-27, where he finished sixth after scoring a 4-under 212.

Graduate student Nathan Petronzio claimed his spot in the top ten alongside Morrison, finishing in ninth to tie his season best at the Southern Highlands Collegiate in February. Heading into day three, Petronzio sat in a four way tie for third but faced a pair of bogeys in the front nine that ultimately dropped his three-round-score to an even-par for the weekend.

Sophomore Christiaan Maas faced challenges during his first two rounds of play, but rallied during Wednesday’s final round to card a 4-under 66, boosting his individual standings from 73rd to a tie for 46th. 

Texas welcomed a fresh face to its lineup in freshman Jack Gilbert, who previously competed at only two other events this season. Gilbert finished in a tie for 79th after shooting an 18-over 228.

Sophomore Keaton Vo and graduate student Brian Stark rounded out the rest of the Longhorns lineup, recording scores of 5-over 215 and 13-over 223 to finish tied for 34th and 65th, respectively.

Arizona sophomore Filip Jakubcik claimed the individual honors, firing a 4-under 206 score. Stanford senior Michael Thorbjornsen and San Diego State junior Justin Hastings tied for second with a 3-under 207 result.

Stanford earned the team championship, recording two top-ten finishes from their lineup and carding an 8-over 1058. The final top seven teams finished within a ten stroke margin of each other in the standings.

The Longhorns take the course again April 22-24 in Trinity, Texas, to compete at its final Big 12 Championship.