Texas women’s tennis defeats Kansas State, advances in Big 12 tournament

Kara Hawley

Texas women’s tennis swept Kansas State 4-0 in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Championship Thursday in Stillwater, Oklahoma. 

This adds another win to the No. 7 Longhorns’ perfect record against the No. 73 Wildcats and extends their win-streak to eight. Texas is on the hunt for its fourth consecutive Big 12 title and will head to the semifinals Friday. 

Texas quickly claimed the doubles point after senior Malaika Rapolu and graduate student Tanya Sasnouskaya took down Kansas State’s junior Veronika Kulhava and freshman Tereza Polakova 6-1. Senior Charlotte Chavatipon and redshirt sophomore Vivian Ovrootsky clinched the point after defeating Wildcat freshman Jillian Harkin and senior Manami Ukita 6-2. 

Longhorn junior Sabina Zeynalova joined senior Taisiya Pachkaleva on the court after being out since March 3 due to injury. Although the pair’s match went unfinished 5-2, Zeynalova’s return bolsters the Longhorns’ roster for the rest of the tournament. 

“The resiliency and the tenacity of the group was good, no one let go of the rope,” head coach Howard Joffe said after the match to Texas Sports.

Texas kept their momentum going and moved on to face Kansas State in singles play. 

Pachkaleva pulled a win out on Ukita, going 6-3, 6-3. The senior student went back and forth with Ukita in the first set, but completed a 4-0 run to clinch it. It became Pachkaleva’s fifth win in a row and gave Texas its second point. 

The next two Longhorns that helped Texas sweep the Wildcats both had comebacks in their matches. Rapolu beat Kansas State sophomore Vanesa Suarez 6-2 in the first set, but had to work harder in the second to get the win. Down 5-2, Rapolu fought her way back to 5-4 and then took the match 5-7 in two straight sets. 

With Texas on the hunt for just one more point to complete their sweep, Sasnouskaya dropped the first set 1-6 against Polakova. She clawed her way back and rebounded in the second and third sets with 6-4, 6-3 wins, respectively. 

Texas will face Red River rival No. 18 Oklahoma Friday in Stillwater at 6 p.m. The last time the teams met, the Longhorns defeated the Sooners in a close 4-3 victory. 

“There is always a big deal made about rivalries,” Joffe said. “I’m looking forward to our kids getting another chance to compete and perform a little bit better. If we can do that, we’ll have an opportunity to get the win.”