What Willie Nelson song you are based on your summer plans

Analise Pickerrell

Willie Nelson, country singer-songwriter and Austin cultural icon, boasts a collection of soulful songs, well-suited for any scenario. In honor of Nelson’s upcoming summer debut, The Border, The Daily Texan compiled a list of Willie Nelson songs to accompany Longhorns’ summer plans.

Traveling/Studying Abroad: “On the Road Again”

A love letter to Nelson’s life on tour, “On the Road Again,” is a classic road trip ballad for adventurers to sing along with. Best experienced with the volume turned up and windows rolled down, this song proves a necessary addition to Longhorns’ travel playlists. 

Graduating: “Funny How Time Slips Away”

As the semester comes to a close, a new group of Longhorns prepare to become Texas Exes. One of Nelson’s earliest songs, “Funny How Time Slips Away” proves the perfect comfort song for soon-to-be graduates reflecting on college memories. 

Summer Classes: “Nothing I Can Do About It Now”

Many Longhorns will continue their hard work during summer classes. “Nothing I Can Do About It Now” is an upbeat song about acceptance, bound to motivate and uplift tired students.

Training for a Sport: “Beer for My Horses”

Texas Athletics faces a major shift as they prepare to join the SEC on July 1. For the Longhorn athletes dedicating their break to summer training, “Beer for My Horses” is the perfect tune to inspire a game-day mindset. 

Internship/Summer Job: “Mammas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow up to Be Cowboys”

“Mammas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow up to Be Cowboys” tells a cautionary tale about the difficult lifestyle cowboys experience. One of Nelson’s most popular songs, this classic tune is a great choice to start off the work day, encouraging Longhorns to “be doctors and lawyers and such.”

Summer Fling: “Moment of Forever”

To many, no summer vacation feels complete without a little bit of romance. For those who desire a summer fling, “Moment of Forever” tenderly encapsulates the experience of fleeting love.  

Going Home: “I’ll Be Seeing You”

Although many students disperse back home for the summer, their presence lingers on the Forty Acres. “I’ll Be Seeing You,” a ballad about separation and missing loved ones, provides a timeless comfort song for Longhorns ready to see their friends “in all the old familiar places” this fall. 

Staying in Austin: “Live Every Day”

Whether tanning by Barton Springs, listening to live music at Blues on the Green or finding an undiscovered local hangout, Austin has everything needed for an unforgettable summer. “Live Every Day,” from Nelson’s 2022 album A Beautiful Time, is the perfect song to sing arm-in-arm with friends, embodying the sentimental spirit of summer in Austin.