Law enforcement agencies work to fight rise in motor vehicle thefts around Austin

Rong Hua Wang

UTPD responded to two separate incidents of motor vehicle theft, within two days of each other, on University property earlier this month.

According to UTPD’s X, two vehicles belonging to University-affiliated victims were reported stolen from the Development Office Building parking lot in the early hours of April 9. Two days later, in another incident, officers responded to a University maintenance vehicle theft on the 1200 block of E Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. The stolen vehicles were located within hours of the initial reports. Suspects have yet to be identified and apprehended, according to releasable details.

Since 2017, there has been a slight rise in motor vehicle thefts on University property, from six incidents in 2017 to 17 incidents in 2022, according to the Annual Security and Fire Safety reports. Public data for 2024 has yet to be released.

However, these thefts are not unique to UT and surrounding areas — the issue exists throughout the city.

According to the Austin Police Department’s Open Policing Data Release website, motor vehicle theft rates have steadily increased since 2020. Last month was the highest March ever and the fourth-highest month on record, with 634 reported thefts in Austin — an increase from 328 reported thefts in 2020.

An APD public information officer said the increase in motor vehicle thefts is likely attributed to social media challenges targeting Kia and Hyundai vehicles. The officer said the two car brands accounted for 35% of the city’s auto thefts in 2023.

“The entire city and the nation (have) been impacted by Kia and Hyundai thefts,” the public information officer said.

Late last year, economics freshman Owen Tippett’s Hyundai was stolen from a campus parking garage around 4 a.m. After filing a report with UTPD, the department notified him a few weeks later that they had located the vehicle.

“They did notify us that they (found) it abandoned somewhere … so they towed it in,” Tippett said. “(But) insurance appraisers said it was totaled.”

The public information officer said Hyundai and Kia models are typically found within a few days of theft, and roughly 75% of all vehicles reported stolen are recovered once entered into a law enforcement database. The database shared by agencies typically sees increased theft rates during the summer — last August was Austin’s highest month on record, followed by November and June of last year.

The public information officer said APD published numerous preventative education resources, partnered with Hyundai to assist in combating the theft of their models and distributed over 500 wheel locks to affected community members. Wheel locks can be requested through the department’s Auto Theft Unit or found across the city while supplies last.

To prevent a second incident, Tippett said he placed a lock on his steering wheel and urged other students who park on or around campus to do the same.

“Try not to bait people with backpacks or valuables that are visible,” Tippett said. “Also, definitely invest in a steering wheel lock … just know your car and take the proper precautions.”

UTPD employs similar tactics to assist students and faculty with motor vehicle thefts on University property.

In an email, Stephanie Jacksis, director of strategic and executive communications for UTPD said the department uses “intelligence-led approaches to police” and prioritizes proactive measures to enhance safety.

“Ensuring the safety of our campus community remains UTPD’s top priority,” Jacksis said. “Our officers monitor crime trends and community feedback, tailoring our patrol strategies to effectively safeguard our community.”