My experiences in the service industry

Bennett Xu

In my junior year of high school, I was a total introvert — social interaction with someone I didn’t know was a daunting task, and I hadn’t realized the extent of the impact that the lockdown had on my social anxiety. 

When my best friend pitched to me the idea of working in a service job with her, I was doubtful of my ability to talk to people all day. However, after gaining experience across multiple service jobs, I wouldn’t want to have pursued any other field during my high school and college years.

Beginning my first job, I wasn’t immediately successful. While I was able to do my job well enough by hosting birthday parties, managing guests and cutting cake, many of my coworkers would make more money than I would. They were better at small talk with the parents, who would tip them more as a result. 

However, over time, I caught on to certain techniques and gradually began to come out of my shell. Eventually, I was not only able to perform better, but I began to enjoy hearing stories and life lessons from parents. I looked forward to meeting new people at my job every day.

My second serving job was more traditional, at a sit-down restaurant. Although it was quite a jump from my previous job, I enjoyed the fast-paced environment and interacting with regular customers. It was definitely more of a challenge than my previous job, but I embraced it, knowing a better connection with my tables meant that I would make better money. Some days were good and some days were bad, but the continuous improvement of my social skills allowed me to apply them to other areas of my life and become a better student and friend. 

One thing I hadn’t expected, however, was the support and friendship I gained from my co-workers. Serving is a solo sport, but forming a bond with my fellow servers made it so that I would have a support system to talk, laugh and rant with during my shift. If we ever felt swamped with things to do, we would always help each other out and ensure that we all made it through, whether it was a calm Monday or a stressful Saturday. 

I came into the service industry seeking just a regular job, and I was able to find so much more in the form of social enrichment and rewarding experiences. The service industry has given me so many opportunities to make money as a student, and I will continue to work in the industry until I complete my time in college. Embracing the change and discomfort that comes along with the service industry can, over time, lead you to monetary and social success.

Herman is a Plan II and psychology freshman from Southlake, Texas.