Pro-Palestine encampment set up on South Mall, over 40 protesters arrested

Naina Srivastava

Law enforcement arrested at least 43 protesters on Monday after students formed an encampment in support of Palestine on the South Mall lawn.

The encampment began at approximately 12:45 p.m. with over 50 protesters locking arms to create a barrier around it. The event follows similar encampments at college campuses around the nation and a Wednesday protest that resulted in 57 arrests, though all charges from Wednesday were dropped.

Over 100 state troopers, Austin and UT police officers surrounded the protesters, arresting some. The University issued three dispersal notices throughout the afternoon starting at 1:10 p.m., warning encampment participants they were in violation of Texas Penal Codes for disorderly conduct, obstructing a highway, criminal trespass and riot. 

By 4:03 p.m all protesters in the encampment were arrested.

At 4:16 p.m., students began forming a barricade by the Turtle Pond to prevent a Travis County Sheriff’s Department bus from leaving. State troopers on motorcycles drove into students. 15 minutes later, law enforcement pepper sprayed protesters and set off two flash bangs off of 22nd and Guadalupe Streets.

A University spokesperson said UT received “extensive” online threats from a group organizing the protest; these threats were reported to local, state and federal law-enforcement. 

“After protesters ignored repeated directives from both the administration and law enforcement officers to comply with Institutional Rules and remove tents assembled on the University’s South Lawn, (and) then physically engaged with and verbally assaulted Dean of Students staff who attempted to confiscate them, UT and partner law enforcement agencies dismantled an encampment and arrested several protesters,” a University spokesperson said.

The story continues to be monitored.