UT mandates staff for full-time on-site work beginning fall semester

The+tower+on+July+7%2C+2023.+
Lorianne Willett
The tower on July 7, 2023.

Almost all staff members will be required to work on-site full-time beginning this fall, UT announced Wednesday morning.

The policy aims to improve service delivery to students, faculty and other stakeholders by ensuring consistent staff availability and promoting innovation through face-to-face interactions. President Jay Hartzell announced the decision via email, emphasizing in-person work best supports the University’s culture and operational effectiveness. 

“Staff members can most effectively serve our students, faculty, fellow staff members and other stakeholders when working together in an environment that fosters collaboration, innovation, availability and reliability,” Hartzell said in the email. “We are here because of our students, and your consistent presence will help provide a more complete and engaging learning experience for students throughout campus.”

The University will finalize logistics by early July, with full implementation set for Aug. 19. Some positions may continue to offer remote or hybrid options based on productivity and specific job functions, but will be determined by supervisors.