Texas football has potential to skyrocket to top of 2025 Recruiting Class List with multiple five-star recruits

Texas+head+coach+Steve+Sarkisian+at+the+game+versus+Alabama+on+Sept.+9%2C+2023.+
Lorianne Willett
Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian at the game versus Alabama on Sept. 9, 2023.

Texas football currently sits in the No. 16 spot for its 2025 recruiting class. However, the recruiting trail is far from over. If things go in the Longhorns’ favor within the next few months, Texas has the potential to go from a top-20 recruiting class to a top-three.

Since the beginning of April, Texas has picked up numerous notable newcomers. These include four-star linebacker Elijah Barnes, running back James Simon, three-star offensive tackle Jordan Coleman, running back Rickey Stewart, offensive tackle Jackson Christian and defensive lineman Brandon Brown. Texas has a total of 11 hard commits but has yet to land a five-star recruit. 

However, hope isn’t out for the Longhorns with five-star wide receivers Dakorien Moore, Jaime Ffrench and Kaliq Lockett who are catching the eyes of Texas. The three are ranked No. 1, No. 4 and No. 2 for wide receivers in the nation respectively, and have a sizable chance of choosing Texas in the coming weeks.

Moore committed and then de-committed from LSU earlier in the recruiting season, and current recruiting analytics seem to point in Texas’ favor. His other top schools, Oregon and Ohio State, are still in the running, but with his official visit to Texas scheduled for June 14, the Longhorns will most likely pull out all the stops to lock in his decision. Moore is described as the “total package,” with his speed, route running abilities and strong hands. In his junior season, he held 71 passes for over 1500 yards and won his second consecutive Texas 6A championship.  

Ffrench also stated that Texas was one of the schools he was considering the most. Texas is currently his top choice, with LSU and Miami following behind. Ffrench has an official visit set for June 21 and, according to his scouting report, is big-bodied and a great route runner. In his 2023 junior season, he held 62 receptions and 14 touchdowns. 

Lockett has also praised the Texas program and has his official visit planned for June 21, joining Ffrench. Lockett’s strong hands and 1,299 yards in his 2023 season make him an impressive target for the Longhorn recruiting class.

Is it likely that Texas will land all three recruits? It’s rare, but similar cases have occurred. In 2021 Alabama acquired four of the top 10 receivers, and Texas A&M landed both the No. 1 and No. 3 receivers in 2022.

On top of the wide receivers, another five-star recruit that Texas has the ability to obtain is No. 3 offensive tackle Michael Fasusi. The Lewisville, Texas native is set to visit the Forty Acres on June 21 and has openly expressed his admiration for the Longhorns.

“I love Texas, man. I’ve been there a lot of times,” Fasusi said. “They never fail to impress me and my family. It’s always love when we go down there, there’s never a bad feeling there or nothing.”

Obtaining these players will bump Texas up tremendously in the 2025 recruiting ranking, most likely to a top three spot, which Ohio State, Notre Dame and Alabama currently occupy.