Wheatsville Co-op closing Guadalupe Street location after 43 years

Charlotte Keene
An employee stands outside Wheatsville Co-op on Guadalupe Street on Thursday.

Wheatsville Food Co-Op, Austin’s cooperatively-owned grocery store and market, announced the closure of its Guadalupe Street location after four decades of service in a special edition newsletter.

General manager Bill Bickford said in the newsletter the Co-Op will not renew its lease, which is set to expire in summer 2026, because of issues related to the Austin Transit Partnership’s light rail project construction and declining sales. 

The construction of the Austin Light Rail Phase 1, the light rail line that will span Guadalupe Street, will impact the Co-Op’s operations by limiting parking, blocking deliveries and removing lanes that provide crucial access for customers and delivery trucks, according to the newsletter.   

“Wheatsville’s board and management strongly support sustainability, and that includes public transit. We know that many of our shoppers and staff use public transportation to access our stores, and transportation is a significant barrier to food access for many Austinites,” Bickford said in an email. “That said, while it is not the only factor in our decision, the light rail project was the factor that makes non-renewal of the lease our only viable option at the conclusion of the current term.”

However, Wheatsville is considering opening smaller-format stores in North Central Austin closely following the closing of the Guadalupe location, allowing the Co-Op to serve more neighborhoods while lowering the operation costs. The Guadalupe Street location plans to remain open until 2026.

“We started this conversation early for two reasons. First, as a community-owned organization, we owe that level of transparency to our 29,000 co-op members,” Bickford said in an email.  “Second, we want to ensure we have ample time to develop a viable plan to continue serving our community of shoppers, staff and local producers.”