McCombs releases floor plans for school’s new building

Courtesy of Lisa Lawrence/Perkins and Will

The floor plans for the new McCombs School of Business were completed earlier this month, with construction planned to end in 2028.

The Miriam and James J. Mulva Hall will hold undergraduate and graduate programs, as well as the school’s staff, said Lillian Mills, dean of the McCombs School of Business. The new building will be located close to Rowling Hall and AT&T Hotel and Conference Center, Mills said. 

“Upgrading classrooms is a given, it’s increasing the connection among us that’s really the game changer,” Mills said.

The 17-story building is designed to be an outlet for any and all business school endeavors, including career counseling and conference and interview spaces. With 29 classrooms, the first six floors will house dedicated areas for students like “The Exchange,” a large communal space for student engagement, Associate Dean for Business Affairs Caitlin Mullaney said.

Foregoing the chance for a top-floor office view, Mills opted for the Dean’s suite to be placed on the seventh floor, right above the six floors dedicated to student learning and engagement. 

“I decided on behalf of 50 years worth of future deans that it’s important for deans to be close to students,” Mills said. 

Renovation can be done on the older business buildings and those spaces can be used to benefit other colleges, Mullaney said. The Steve Hicks School of Social Work, which is farther from the Main Campus, has plans to move into the older business buildings, said Mills. 

“This is making way for other opportunities in the campus,” Mullaney said. “Not only meeting our strategic goals but also helping to (have) some much-needed space for the campus.” 

The project raised $125 million in donations, and it expects to raise $25 million more within the next 12 months, Mills said. Miriam and James J. Mulva made the first contribution of $40 million a decade ago, followed by many donations from alumni and other donors.

“Alumni are really the driving force,” Mullaney said. “It’s because they believe in UT and they believe in McCombs and they believe in providing for the future of our students.”