‘A Quiet Place: Day One’ offers a melodramatic look into the day the world went quiet

Courtesy of Paramount Pictures

“A Quiet Place: Day One,” written and directed by Michael Sarnoski, follows survivors Samira (Lupita Nyong’o) and Eric (Joseph Quinn) in New York City on the first day of the invasion of creatures that kill anything that makes sound.

Setting a prequel for a horror series about staying silent in the middle of one of the loudest, man-made places imaginable proves genius. The previous “A Quiet Place” movies took place in suburban and rural settings years after the invasion, and while previous movies shared glimpses of day one, this one shows it in full force — audiences witness how survivors band together to stay alive. The only problem: the scares rely too much on loud noise jump scares after long durations of silence. 

Nyong’o steals the show, once again proving how much she deserves an Oscar. The journey audiences take with her character feels authentic and believable, as she revisits childhood memories and locations in the crumbling New York City. Seeing a glimpse into her ideology and perspective on life makes her decisions more understandable and her bravery more engaging. A strong and capable individual who sets her mind on one mission but assists those in need, Nyong’o proves one of the most memorable characters in the franchise.  Additionally, Quinn still manages to have a few scenes to himself that allow audiences to glimpse into his character and outlook on life being stuck experiencing the end of civilization.

When the prequel was announced, audiences didn’t expect much substance, yet the script proves a wonderful story to tell and comes together nicely by the end. Its melodramatic tone makes audiences forget about the impending doom surrounding the central characters, just to remind them minutes later it’s a horror film with expertly crafted action sequences. The film reveals a beautiful story about humanity’s will to survive and showcases the best of humanity despite the worst of the characters’ circumstances. 

“A Quiet Place: Day One” defies all negative expectations typically associated with horror prequels and is a solid entry into the franchise. The short melodramatic approach to horror storytelling will make the film a treat for audiences everywhere despite minor plot holes and the overuse of jump scares. It’s a pleasant time at the theater and will have audiences everywhere wanting more from the universe. Just make sure to get quiet snacks if enjoying it in theaters.

3 ½ slices of NYC pizza out of 5