‘MaXXXine’: Hollywood’s a killer in this nut-sploding finale

Courtesy of A24

“MaXXXine,” the long-anticipated sequel to “X” written and directed by Ti West, follows Maxine Minx (Mia Goth) as she ventures into Hollywood during the 1980s to finally become a movie star all while being targeted by a mysterious killer mimicking the Night Stalker.

Mia Goth gives a memorable performance as Maxine that’ll inspire tons of college kids’ Halloween costumes this fall. Goth perfects and fleshes out her character from the last film, adding a new shade of personality to the lovable adult film star. Goth’s attention to Minx’s desire for fame stands out as particularly engaging compared to her performance in “X.” Goth gives a deeper performance as her character establishes a new life in Hollywood, making for a higher-stakes adventure. Not only must she survive another killer and creepy guys in alleyways, but also her day-to-day life in the industry. The film also solidifies Minx’s place in the Final Girl Hall of Fame after overcoming countless obstacles. While all four of Goth’s performances are phenomenal, the one from “MaXXXine” in particular deserves as much credit as Goth’s role in “Pearl,” if not more.

West tackles the 80s splendidly, with attention to every detail from crowded nighttime streets being showered in neon to the clean and eerie feeling of the Hollywood Hills upper-class homes. Everything down to the costuming feels meticulously crafted to grab audiences with a truly authentic vision of the 80s. 

Despite all of this praise, the script remains shockingly rough. The opening events of the film feel slow as we watch Maxine audition and navigate her life, leading to an overextended expository drop that doesn’t ease up for what seems like half the runtime. By the end of the exposition, the film fails to progress. Once events finally kick into overdrive, the movie moves too quickly until the final act, in which the reveal of the killer proves too obvious. Even the campiness of the ending can’t quite remedy the issue. That being said, the performances and aesthetics of the film along with its not-so-serious tone make it an enjoyable watch that’ll leave audiences forgetting its series of flaws.

“MaXXXine” ends West’s trilogy with a slightly disappointing bang, but despite its flaws, the film still stands out as one of the top horror movies of the year.

3 nut-splosions out of 5