Apply to The Daily Texan

Fall 2020 staff applications are closed.

The Daily Texan is no longer seeking applications for fall 2020. If you're interested in applying to work with us, we'll be accepting applications during the first few weeks of the spring. Thank you for your interest in joining our staff!

If you have any questions, please email managing editor Megan Menchaca at managingeditor@thedailytexan.com. For questions pertaining specifically to the opinion section, please email editor-in-chief Emily Caldwell at editor@dailytexanonline.com

NEWS

All roads lead to us. The news department covers student issues on campus, University policy, the UT administration, city policies affecting students, how the pandemic has affected everything and so much more. Come help us break news ranging from UT changing its sexual misconduct policies to the former UT president’s wife testing positive for coronavirus. No experience required.

Position: General reporter

SPORTS

Whether you play sports or just like sports, join us if you want to report about people on fields chasing after balls. Although the coronavirus has shut down many events, there are still plenty of stories to be told as the sports community adapts to new realities and reacts to larger movements in the world. Help us top this headline — yes, we printed that. Do we regret it? Nope. No experience required.

Position: Sports reporter

LIFE&ARTS

Come here to write about the finer things in life and express your thoughts on the arts — as well as explore the human aspect behind the news. We’ve delved into students’ notable business ventures, how coronavirus has changed weddings and everything in between. Did a new movie move you? Write about it in a review! Better yet, conduct a Q&A with the people behind the art. No experience required.

Position: L&A reporter

OPINION

Make yourself heard at the opinion department! It includes columnists, cartoonists and editors who work to contribute and solicit columns from the community. The department’s work serves a dual purpose: to reflect and further inform the opinions of the University community. We want you to tell things how they are and keep UT and its community in check as the pandemic rages on. No experience required.

Positions: Opinion columnist, opinion illustrator

PHOTO

Photographers capture visual content to supplement News, Sports and Life&Arts stories on a daily basis. They also have the opportunity to work on long-term multimedia projects independent from other departments and produce photo spreads, slideshows and work on special projects. No experience required, though familiarity with camera settings is a plus. Tryouts will be required to have access to their own equipment for the tryout period.

Position: Staff photographer

VIDEO

The video department produces videos that go alongside reports from other departments while also tackling separate standalone projects. Apply to the video department to create interesting content that bolster the Texan's online presence — like this video where we explore how quarantined students found community during Ramadan. Tryouts will be required to independently film and edit a video. No experience is required, and students outside of journalism and radio-television-film programs are encouraged to apply.

Position: Staff videographer

DIVERSITY + INCLUSION BOARD

Interested in making the Texan a more diverse and inclusive space? The D+I board members are the ones tackling that from the ground up. This semester, we will be launching several new initiatives, such as coverage tracking, a D+I newsletter and mandatory workshops. Be a part of our mission to realize those ideas and make the newsroom a place where everyone is truly welcomed. 

Position: General contributor

SOCIAL MEDIA

Print journalism? In this pandemic? We coordinate The Daily Texan's social media accounts to maximize our outreach. Social media staffers write daily posts for our Facebook, Instagram and Twitter — which boasts the second-largest following among all college media. If you think you have a good online voice and a good handle on what our audience wants to know, this is the perfect department for you. No experience required. 

Position: Social media staffer

NEWSLETTERS

The newsletters team writes copy for the digital front page of the Texan and keeps an engaged audience up to date with daily briefings, weekly updates and the latest reports on sports news. Ideal candidates will be able to write fast and keep their words sharp and catchy. Newsletters writers work once a week writing for one of our three newsletters. No experience required.

Position: Newsletters writer

DESIGN

Is graphic design actually your passion? Do you hate Comics Sans and Papyrus irrationally? Is Adobe CC all you need in life? Join your like-minded brethren here. Issue designers work one night a week designing satisfying, cohesive pages in the paper. Come make show-stopping spreads and creative infographics with us! No experience required, though it is a plus if you’re familiar with InDesign.

Position: Issue designer

COPY

If rules and structure define your life, you belong at the backbone of the paper. Let out your inner urge to constantly correct people! Staff copy editors are responsible for fact-checking stories and reading for AP style, grammar and spelling. Copy staffers work to strengthen content across all departments and gain skills in writing headlines and editing. No experience required, but familiarity with AP style and being a Virgo are plusses.

Position: Copy editor

AUDIO

Got a voice for radio? Narrate the news at the audio department! We provide clips and embeds that supplement storytelling for other departments, work on special projects and produce podcasts with weekly content and analysis. Find us on SoundCloud and Spotify. No experience required, but knowledge of audio editing software and/or broadcast journalism is a plus.

Position: Audio producer

COMICS

The comics department focuses primarily on the daily comics, filling the section with new, original content produced by comics artists. Artists' work may include comics for the printed page or for the website. Illustrators provide other departments, such as News, Opinion and Life&Arts, with illustrations that accompany their stories. All artists, animators and illustrators welcome. No experience required. 

Position: Comics artist