Apply to The Daily Texan

Summer 2020 staff applications are closed.

The Daily Texan is no longer hiring for summer 2020. If you're interested in applying to work with us in the fall, we'll be accepting applications through the first two weeks of the fall semester. Thank you for your interest in joining our staff!

If you have any questions, please email managing editor Sami Sparber at managingeditor@dailytexanonline.com. For questions pertaining specifically to the opinion section, please email editor-in-chief Emily Caldwell at editor@dailytexanonline.com

NEWS

•  
  • The news department covers student issues on campus, UT policy, the UT administration, legislation affecting the University, city policy affecting UT, crime on campus and much more. No experience required.

PROJECTS

•  
  • The projects department produces in-depth, investigative projects and series. Prior reporting experience required.
  •  

SPORTS

•  
  • The sports department is responsible for reporting on athletics. Although the sports department’s primary focus is Texas athletics, writers also cover local and professional sports and write weekly online columns about a variety of issues in the sports world. No experience required.

LIFE&ARTS

•  
  • The Life&Arts department features coverage of local festivals such as South by Southwest and Austin City Limits. The department also features weekly online album, movie and book reviews, as well as features about student life. No experience required.
  •  
  • OPINION
  •  
  • The opinion department includes columnists, cartoonists and editors who work to contribute and solicit columns from the community. The department’s work serves a dual purpose: to reflect, and further inform, the opinions of the University community. No experience required.

PHOTO

•  
  • Photographers capture visual content to supplement news, sports and life&arts stories on a daily basis. They also have the opportunity to work on long-term multimedia projects independent from other departments and produce photo spreads, online slideshows and blog posts. No experience required, although familiarity with camera settings is a plus. Tryouts must have access to their own equipment for the tryout period.

MULTIMEDIA

•  
  • The multimedia department produces and creates mulimedia content for The Daily Texan with a focus on audio and video, including podcasts that summarize and analyze Texan content and other news relevant to the University. This department also creates video components for online stories in addition to separate standalone projects. This area of the paper exists to communicate stories that matter through online media. No experience is required, but an interest in reporting, writing and audio and video editing is recommended.

DESIGN

•  
  • The design department makes note of all stories and art for each issue of The Daily Texan and then lays out the pages each night. Page designers work one night a week. Staff members are also responsible for graphics and sidebars. The department often works on special design projects such as in-depth packages and special issues. No experience required, although familiarity with InDesign is a plus.

COPY

•  
  • Staff copy editors are responsible for fact-checking stories from all departments and reading for AP style. Copy staffers work to strengthen content across all departments and gain skills in writing headlines and editing. No experience required, although familiarity with AP style is a plus.

COMICS

•  
  • The comics department focuses primarily on the daily comics, filling the section with new, original content produced by the comics artists. Work may include comics for online pages or animations for the website. The department also provides other departments, such as news, opinion and life&arts with illustrations to accompany their stories. All artists and animators welcome.

SOCIAL MEDIA

•  
  • The social media team works to coordinate the various Texan social media accounts to maximize the organization's outreach. It works with The Daily Texan's main Twitter account — which boasts the third-largest following among all college media — and uses analytics to track the success of its strategies, in addition to managing the Texan's Facebook and Instagram accounts. The social media team also manages the Texan's daily and weekly newsletters. No analytics experience required.

EVENTS

The events department organizes virtual events and conversations with experts, industry professionals and campus groups. The department also puts together workshops geared toward professional development for Texan staffers. No experience required.