Apply to The Daily Texan

Spring 2020 staff applications are closed.

Applications have closed for the spring 2020 semester, but The Daily Texan accepts applications the first three weeks of every semester. The summer and fall interest forms will be published later this year. 

Questions? Email managing editor Lisa Nhan at managingeditor@dailytexanonline.com. For all other department head emails, check out our contact page.

NEWS

•  
  • The news department covers student issues on campus, UT policy, the UT administration, legislation affecting the University, city policy affecting UT, crime on campus and much more. No experience required.

PROJECTS

•  
  • The projects department produces in-depth, investigative projects and series. Prior reporting experience required.
  •  

SPORTS

•  
  • The sports department is responsible for reporting on athletics. Although the sports department’s primary focus is Texas athletics, writers also cover local and professional sports and write weekly online columns about a variety of issues in the sports world. No experience required.

LIFE&ARTS

•  
  • The Life&Arts department features coverage of local festivals such as South by Southwest and Austin City Limits. The department also features weekly online album, movie and book reviews, as well as features about student life. No experience required.
  •  
  • OPINION
  •  
  • The opinion department includes columnists, cartoonists and editors who work to contribute and solicit columns from the community. The department’s work serves a dual purpose: to reflect, and further inform, the opinions of the University community. No experience required.

PHOTO

•  
  • Photographers capture visual content to supplement news, sports and life&arts stories on a daily basis. They also have the opportunity to work on long-term multimedia projects independent from other departments and produce photo spreads, online slideshows and blog posts. No experience required, although familiarity with camera settings is a plus. Tryouts must have access to their own equipment for the tryout period.

VIDEO

•  
  • The video department serves the dual roles of creating video components of print stories alongside reporters, while also tackling separate standalone projects. This area of the paper exists to communicate stories that matter through online media. Apply to the video department to create exciting content to bolster the Texan's important online presence. Tryouts will be required to independently film and edit a video, with advice and coaching from the video editor.

DESIGN

•  
  • The design department makes note of all stories and art for each print issue of The Daily Texan and then lays out the pages each night. Page designers work one night a week. Staff members are also responsible for graphics and sidebars. The department often works on special design projects such as in-depth packages and special issues. No experience required, although familiarity with InDesign is a plus.

COPY

•  
  • Staff copy editors are responsible for fact-checking stories from all departments and reading for AP style. Copy staffers work to strengthen content across all departments and gain skills in writing headlines and editing. No experience required, although familiarity with AP style is a plus.

COMICS

•  
  • The comics department focuses primarily on the daily comics, filling the section with new, original content produced by the comics artists. Work may include comics for the printed page or animations for the website. The department also provides other departments, such as news, opinion and life&arts with illustrations to accompany their stories. All artists and animators welcome.

AUDIO

•  
  • The audio department creates weekly and biweekly podcasts, as well as supplemental audio content for other departments at the Texan. No experience is required, but an interest in reporting, writing and audio editing is recommended.

SOCIAL MEDIA

•  
  • The social media team works to coordinate the various Texan social media accounts to maximize the organization's outreach. It works with The Daily Texan's main Twitter account — which boasts the third-largest following among all college media — and uses analytics to track the success of its strategies, in addition to managing the Texan's Facebook and Instagram accounts. No analytics experience required.

EVENTS

The events department organizes events — like talks and meet-ups — with community experts and campus organizations to further engaging, in-person conversations about newsworthy topics. Events staffers learn event planning by pitching and executing their own events about topics ranging from the Texas Legislature to diversity in journalism. No experience required

NEWSLETTERS

The newsletters department writes about all the stories the Texan publishes in print. The department sends out three newsletter, our flagship the Daily Digest, as well as a weekly sports newsletter and the Weekly Rewind. Writers will have the opportunity to deliver recaps of breaking news, sporting events or highlights of news from the week to thousands of subscribers. No experience required.