Submitting an op-ed
The Texan welcomes op-ed submissions from members of the UT community (including alumni and former faculty and staff). In order to be considered for publication, op-eds must be fewer than 600 words and directly relate the UT community. Op-eds will not be considered if they have been published previously, including on social media, personal blogs, or other publications.
1) Keep submissions under 600 words.
2) Tie your submission back to the UT community. If you're writing about a non-local issue, tell us why a Longhorn should care. Be as specific as possible.
3) Provide links for all your factual claims.
4) Submit along with your written contribution a phone number where you can be easily reached.
5) Include at the bottom of your submission a tag line in the following style:
- Students: [Last name] is a(n) [major][classification] from [hometown].
- Staff/faculty: [Last name] is a(n) [field][level of employment].
- Other: simply be as specific as possible about why you are qualified to write this piece.
Op-eds should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org, where they will be reviewed by our Forum team.