Dohner, fellow freshmen pace Horns in Stillwater

After a big weekend in Stillwater, Okla., Texas came home with a fourth-place finish in the Big 12 Championships. With 127 total points earned at the meet, the Longhorns brought in their highest finish since 2007. Thanks to beating Texas A&M, Texas also earned a point in the annual State Farm Lone Star Showdown.

The team was led by freshman Ryan Dohner, who finished the 8K race in 25:00.73, followed closely by senior Bradley Lowry and freshman Patrick McGregor in 22nd and 23rd, respectively.
Brock Simmons, Collin Smith, Brian Rhodes-Devey, and Will Nation also competed and brought in points for Texas.

The champion of the event was Oklahoma State for the third straight year with 19 points. Colorado and Oklahoma finished ahead of the Longhorns as well. Even so, assistant coach John Hayes could not be more proud of the runners’ success.

“The NCAA meet is about controlling emotions early and taking advantage of those that were unable to do so when you hit the second half,” Hayes said. “We are young but talented and have undoubtedly continued to build with a great group of men. The present and future look very bright.”

As a result of its strong running in Stillwater, Texas will travel to Waco on Saturday, Nov. 13 for the South Central Region Championships.