Undefeated look to continue win streak

The Longhorns are finally coming home.

After swimming to an impressive 4-0 record on the road against daunting opponents, fans are finally able to witness their third-ranked Texas team in action.

This weekend, more than 2,000 athletes will descend upon the Lee and Joe Jamail Texas Swimming Center for the three-day Texas Swimming and Diving Hall of Fame Invitational. This competition, which includes both the men’s and women’s teams, features all 21 events commonly seen in NCAA competitions.

Spectators will get to watch athletes from many universities across the country, such as seventh-ranked Arizona, as well as a team from Sydney University in Australia.

Because of their impressive start, the Longhorns debut the season ranked third in the College Swimming Coaches Association of America poll which was released in mid-November.

Sophomore Laura Sogar, along with junior Karlee Bispo and sophomore diver Maren Taylor, once again lead a strong Texas team into this weekend’s meet. This Texas team is attempting to forget their unfortunate 11th-place finish at last March’s NCAA championships and have done a remarkable job. The team as a whole has impressed the country with victories over No. 5 Cal in addition to a dominating performance at their first dual meet of the season against Michigan and Indiana.

Several athletes have also stood out this semester on a national scale. Sogar was voted a National Swimmer of the Week in October while Bispo was named Big 12 Conference Swimmer of the Week after a dominating performance that led to three individual victories against Texas A&M in early November.

“I think what our women do really well is they rise to the occasion,” said head coach Kim Brackin, “They swim up to their competitors.”

With the 40 Acres hoping to return to glory after a disappointing football season, this group of Longhorns is ready to take advantage of a home meet.