High school recruits make college choices official today

Today is national signing day, when high school football recruits finalize their college decisions. With most of its recruits committed but unsigned, Texas has one of the top-ranked classes in the country. With such a tumultuous offseason that saw a change at six coaching positions, it is amazing that the Longhorns did not lose many recruits.

“I was very proud of the recruits,” said Texas head coach Mack Brown. “I thought they trusted my staff and I to hire the right guys, and most of them didn’t even waver.”

Offensive lineman Christian Westerman was the only blue chip defector, choosing Auburn over the Longhorns.

Texas was able to retain top running back prospect Malcolm Brown. Brown could have an immediate impact at running back for the Longhorns, even with the depth they have at the position.

Quandre Diggs, who has already signed, is listed as the top cornerback prospect on ESPN. Though recruited as a defensive player, Diggs rushed for more than 1,000 yards for the third consecutive season. He also threw for another 800 yards. Diggs, who was recruited by co-offensive coordinator Major Applewhite, should spend most of his time with the defense.

Jaxon Shipley, brother of former Longhorn wide receiver Jordan Shipley, is committed to Texas and will play the same position his brother did. Jaxon is a four-star recruit, according to Rivals, which is the same rating Jordan received.

While Texas has not been too hurt on the recruiting trail for this season, next season may be a different story. The coaching changes could still have an effect on current high school juniors’ decisions.

“We’re a little behind on the juniors, simply because we’ve had the same staff for three years and they knew those guys,” Brown said. “Now the new guys have to look out and find the juniors. It slows us down a bit on our offers through the
junior process.”